VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hi there,
Has anyone actually got shadow warrior working with sound?, every time I select any sound blaster device in the setup with port 220, IRQ 7, 8bit DMA 1 16bit DMA 5 it just hangs. I've got a Hercules Game Theatre XP running windows xp pro.

How do you get multiplayer ipx games to work with shadow warrior?

thanks.

Reply 1 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. No multiplayer. UNLESS you use an emulator such as Connectix VPC.
2. Are you using ALL Vdmsound updated? If so are you using Windows 2000 or Windows XP? There is no SFX with Windows 2000 on BUILD engine games...well there is for a couple of seconds and then there was a crash. 😉
3. BUILD games under VPC are not ideal since the sound quality is inferior to VDMSound but you do get VESA and multiplayer.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Unregistered wrote:

Has anyone actually got shadow warrior working with sound?,

Yes. Set it to 320x200 with no sound, no music.
Save, and confirm it works. Go back to setup (no VDMSound just yet), choose "SoundBlaster OR compatible", choose 1 or 2 Voices, Mono Sound, 8 or 11Khz Mix Rate, then test the sound. If it works, then try VDMSound (XP's built-in emulation is quite inferior).

Make sure you download/install v2.04 of VDMSound (make sure you're Administer), install (copy over) the update files, then install v1.0.0.7 of the GUI Launcher. Log off, then back on.

Right-click on the game's executable, choose the "Run with VDMS" with the little musical note. (If the hint message pops up, clear the checkbox so it doesn't appear next time.)

If you need to make adjustments later, make the changes to the .VLP file created by VDMSound.

You can try adjusting the audio in setup, but don't expect it to perform anything like it did under DOS/Win9x. So far, the best option (for me) has been to dual-boot back to Win9x.

Reply 3 of 11, by DoomGaZer

User metadata

Just wondering about the correct settings for VDMSound for Shadow Warrior and Blood. I get sound but it is slowed down to a crawl. I noticed the 2 voices and mono audio settings you mentioned but that was before VDMSound was installed. What "exactly" are the required settings under WinXP running VDMSound 2.04 (and yes I'm aware of 2.1 beta but I'm not currently using it). Thanks.

Reply 4 of 11, by DoomGaZer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just wanting to clarify some of my information. I am running WinXP pro and using the onboard sound that comes with my nforce 2 based mobo. I get excellent sound from the main menu which has Lo Wang saying something along the lines of "you no mess with Lo Wang". When I procede to start a new game, it slows to a crawl. I have audio but it is choppy and nasty and the whole game is slow. I am running the game with NOLFB.COM and I have tried all kinds of settings with the Shadow Warrior setup program and I still can't seem to speed it up and get good clean audio. Also, I have played the game under Win98 with this exact system and I can hear the CD audio tracks. Under XP with VDMSound I get no CD audio. Please explain what you can in simple steps (I am an experienced PC professional but I like it simple). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reply 5 of 11, by Tarkin

User metadata

Hi, i have the same Problem. Im runnig SW on WIN XP Prof. with nolfb and vdm. The sound works fine but if the sound is aktivated the game runs very slow. If i deaktivate the sound it runs normal. I hope anybody has an idea to solve this problem or else i have to use my old pci card and start it in dos. 😢

Reply 6 of 11, by Guest

User metadata

I found it! 😁
Lock at this site http://www.deathmask.net/buildxp/ and do just as it says.
On my PC it worked. The sound is fine and the game runs fast. Try it.
For Multiplayer over ipx just open the properties of the sw.vdl Advanced -> compatibility an activate "Enable low-level network support".
(NetBIOS over TCP/IP musst be activated or install the NWLink IPX/SPX Protocoll in XP)

I hope it runs on your PC.

Tarkin

Reply 7 of 11, by DoomGaZer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That guy's website has come under fire from folks at this forum. I'll pick apart his vlp files to see what settings he uses, otherwise I'm following the directions of the admins here. Thanks for the link though, BTW, as the link to his site found elsewhere in these forums is incorrect. CLI2NOP is not needed at all when using VDMSound and all the patches for 2.04 or using 2.1 beta.