VOGONS

Alas! Kyrandia problems.

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I've been using VDMSound for awhile now; it's worked perfectly on Fate of Atlantis, Kyrandia 1, Sam n' Max. However, after finding a copy of one of my favorite games, Kyrandia 2 : The Hand of Fate, on eBay, I was appalled to find that I could not run the program with VDMSound. After setting XMS and EMS memory setting to Auto, the game would run with no problems without it, but when I try, VDSSound loads, but then, in the DOS prompt as the game begnis to start up, it suddenly says "A CD-Rom Device Driver is required to run Hand of Fate CD." I've tried completely taking the game off the CD, running it from various places, etc., but nothing seems to work. What's up, what's wrong? How can I fix this problem, so that I might once again experience this masterpiece of a game?

Stats : The Hand of Fate CD actually seems to be a reproduction by a company called Sold Out Software. Should be identical to the original; comes with a .pdf file of the manual.

Computer : Don't think it's a problem with my machine; got the same results on my other machine. Just in case, I have a Pentium 4 with Windows XP SP2, 512 RAM, 1.8 ghz...whatever the standard graphic/sound card is with Dells these days, etc, etc. If you REALLY need some other vital stat, I'll be happy to find it and supply it.

Thanks, everyone...

Reply 1 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Unregistered but when I try, VDSSound loads, but then, in the DOS prompt as the game begnis to start up, it suddenly says "A CD-Rom Device Driver is required to run Hand of Fate CD." I've tried completely taking the game off the CD, running it from various places, etc., but nothing seems to work.

Well, have you tried enabling low-level CD-ROM support on your (VLP) VDMSound shortcut?

Stats : The Hand of Fate CD actually seems to be a reproduction by a company called Sold Out Software. Should be identical to the original;

*cringe*
Should be...but with "sold out"....
showthread.php?threadid=1725&highlight=Sold+Out+Software

Reply 2 of 5, by Guest

User metadata

I actually have the same exact problem. I get the same exact error message when I try and run it through DosBox .63, (Used to work fine after dealing with visbios, but no longer) and the new VDM sound. (Tried low-level the cd-rom support. All I got was a laggy game.) The strange thing is that it used to run fine on my old win95 computer when I tried playing it on there, but it now gives me the message.

Does anyone have any ideas I might be able to use to help me out?

-J

Reply 3 of 5, by the_jake

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm kind of surprised at how often people mistake this for a malfunction--it's not a glitch; after you do this:
>mount c C:\WESTWOOD
remember that you need to do THIS, too:
>mount d D:\ -t cdrom
THEN you can do
>C:
>cd hofcd
>hofcd
...Unless you're like me, in which case you'll get:
>Unable to load sound driver...
>Unable to load GOLDFONT.FNT
>Reinstall program.
Wth?