I got this error:
cdromdirectoryentry - ERROR 2 READING DIRECTORY /frontend\movielow\ea.tgv

Can someone help me?

Reply 4 of 11, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://www.mobygames.com/game_group/sheet/gameGroupId,93/

Which one? The ORIGINAL, non-special edition "Need for Speed"?

Try installing through the CVS version of DOSBox instead of the release version. See if that helps.
http://files.pixelz.org/dev/dosbox/

Or, provided you have a FAT32 drive partition or could temporarily make one, use a bootdisk to boot into DOS and run install from there.

Or, try Connectix Virtual PC to install the game.

Alternately, you could download a warez version.

After that, then you might be able to run the game in DOSBox CVS. OR you could try VDMSound. But that's after the game is installed.

Also, this thread might help, once you have it installed.
showthread.php?threadid=409

Lots of good stuff to be found on Google Groups when searching for cdromdirectoryevent OR setstreamspeed...

Tips:
1. Make sure your CD-ROM drive is the first disc drive (includes DaemonTools and the like...) after your hard drive.
2. Free more conventional memory.

Note:
You're not the only one to have had this problem:
http://google.com/groups?selm=ai0eh4%241355%2 … loo.uran.net.ua
http://google.com/groups?selm=aqu1nu%249at%241%40news.tpi.pl

But it's the first I've heard of an installation problem with NFS under XP..

Reply 5 of 11, by richiefs

User metadata

I have the original game.

In fact after installing the game, the problem is the same for running the game.
I did the installation under win98, then tried to run it under XP

I tried the latest CVS of dosbox, same problems

Looks like there is no solution right now, perhaps sapucdex lacks some features...

Haven't tried VirtualPC but I think my computer would't be powerful enough (duron 850).
I have a question, what's the best? Vmware or VirtualPC?

Reply 6 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Schadenfreude Try installing through the CVS version of DOSBox instead of the release version.

*heh* Check the specs, Schadenfreude. NFS needs a Pentium. Even if it didn't crash DosBox, it wouldn't really run.

Reply 7 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by richiefs Looks like there is no solution right now, perhaps sapucdex lacks some features...

Don't think that's it. It may be related to the unusal method you were using to start it. Will try to find my CD and test.

Haven't tried VirtualPC but I think my computer would't be powerful enough (duron 850).

It would be on the weak side.

I have a question, what's the best? Vmware or VirtualPC?

Depends. "Virtual PC" is partly "virtualization" (your actual processor and your actual CD/DVD drives, etc...) and part emulation. VMware is basically all virtualization. Both are terrible for action games of just about any kind. Turn-based strategy and "non-action" adventure games are about the only ones that perform well.

Reply 9 of 11, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by richiefs nfs needs a 486 DX2 66, I have the box

My mistake, was looking at the SE versions' specs (although that's a pretty big jump in specs just for a "special edition"...I guess they're presuming usage of the SVGA mode).

In any case, I was able to do the following (with the DOS SE version):

Installed using VDMSound with a custom batch file:
C:\MAX\NOLFB.COM
H:
INSTALLD

Without NOLFB, it dropped me to the desktop (VESA install screens). I also had to use SAPUCDEX instead of the standard "low-level CD-ROM support" to prevent the "stream speed" error.

It autodetected a SB16. Sound works, but there's a stutter as if it had too few buffers.
The "movie test" produced garbage on-screen, but the actual movies in the game worked fine.
After installation, I again had to create a batch file with NOLFB in it, then the NFS.EXE.

Some audio issues, but otherwise fine.

Reply 11 of 11, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Unregistered wrote:

I'd say that the special edition and the original are different.

Someone could make the original version work?

Okay, but are the installers different? It doesn't sound like it. Thus, Nicht's instructions MAY work to install NFS non-SE.