VOGONS

First post, by kook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I posted a thread some time ago about running Voyetra's Sequencer plus/pro. It ran but i got no midi signal. Now I've tried again, and I have discovered that i have to be a bit more presice in my question.

First: the computer...

celeron 500
64 mb ram
aw64
Nvida Riva TNT2
VDMS 2.1.0

I know this is not too much of a computer, but I have tried my settings on an AMD athlon 2ghz with 512 mb ram & so on where it seems ok...

Now:

Sequencer plus is a ASCII-based program that came along with the first soundblaster cards (1, 1.5, 2 and pro...). The first release was in 1987, my current version is from 1992, and can be downloaded for free from WWW.VOYETRA.COM.
It was the only sequencing program i used between 1989 - 1997.

The program has som features that no other modern sequencers has, so to me it is most important to get it working with either my soundcards midi out/in or the "midi yoke" virtual midi-device.

(Midi yoke is a program that let you patch midisignals between different programs using the midiports.
In the properties/midi-options of the sequencer/soft-synth a/several midi-ports appear ("midi out :midi yoke junction 1 - 8...").
I allready have connected VDMS with a soft-synth (th VAZ modular 2010) but i get no midi-signal.)

Sequencer plus does not run (you can't playback or record) if the "vapi....com" driver is not loaded. There are one vapi-driver for each mididevice compatible (i.e. vapisb.com, vapimpu.com...)
Under VDMS only the soundblaster driver (vapisb) loades sucsessfully.
(In addition there are Sapi-drivers - for fm/onboard synth accsess and Tapi -drivers - ?? i believe some soundcards w/o midi use these drivers prior to a sapi driver)
When i try to run vapimpu.com i get the message

"interrupt not found - check your hardware installation..."

BUT if i first load the soundblaster driver - then the mpu driver it seems to be ok. I first see the lines

" IRQ system passed test at IRQ 5
MIDI driver v1.40 for all soundblaster cards...."

then when the mpu driver loads:

" Reloading VAPI driver. Use /REM to remove"

and it loads, plays and records (though it runs extremely slow on my computer during playback or prelisten, but I do not intend to use the program on this one).

Now. Since the program believes that everything is working, i assume that it is sending midi information out somewhere, but i do not get any response from either:

1. the midi yoke driver on my computer (no midi signal in the soft synth program assigned to the according midi yoke port), or

2. the usb mididevice i tried on the other computer (no LED activity on the breakout-box).

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong ???

in that case: thank you extremely much

Kolbjorn

Reply 1 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm guessing you have configuration issues. For one thing, IRQ5 is what Windows' SB emulation uses - VDMSound uses IRQ7 by default as far as I know. You may need to edit your c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt to comment out the set blaster= line to disable Windows' SB emulation and see if that helps.

Also, made sure that both input and output devices have been set in the Advanced->MIDI tab in the LaunchPad shortcut that you've created for VSS (assuming you're using LaunchPad, which kicks ass). It doesn't use an input device by default from what I can tell.

Reply 4 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*bzzzt* I'm using VDMSound 2.0.4 update 2 and LaunchPad 1.0.1.1 and it lets me select both MIDI in and out devices. Haven't tested MIDI-in with it though to see if it actually works.

Reply 5 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ ...it lets me select both MIDI in and out devices. Haven't tested MIDI-in with it though to see if it actually works.

Well then maybe we should let Vlad have the final word on that (whether or not it actually works in 2.04). In any case, it's not relevant here as kook has already mentioned that he's using 2.10 (I probably missed that because I was trying to post replies in a hurry from a library computer).

In any case, I have no MIDI-IN experience, so somebody with such experience needs to jump in here.

Reply 6 of 8, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was implemented before it appeared in LaunchPad, so if it's in LPad then it works (or else I would ahve grayed it out anyway, right?)

V.