VOGONS

well

Topic actions

First post, by kook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

-I've tried to get a signal through a cable & into a midi patchbox without sucsess (no led-indication, no reaction from my sampler).

I'm trying hard to get the midi signal out of the program, but as i said: the mpu401 emulation is not accepted by the ancient midi driver for SPG. The soundblaster driver works fine, but i get no midi out.

Reply 1 of 6, by kook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

forgot one thing...: the wavetable-synth works. That'll say (in SPG) that the midi works in some way... (and it is not a setting in the sequencer - the mididriver has to be accepted in order for the sequencer to play or record...)

Reply 2 of 6, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Um...could you give us, like, an example program, and how exactly you're set up, and I assume you're using the VDMSound Launchpad so, have you tried setting the MPU-401 to go to whatever your MIDI Out is?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 6, by kook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

(Check out the post - "some problems running an old sequencer")

I've tried the launchpad withourt luck & i'm now using th dosdrv with an inifile that works fine with my sb driver, but not my mpu driver (either did the launchpad). I get the message:
"unnknown MPU... interrupt not found...driver not loaded"
- i have tried to change every possible settings on the mpu401 driver & the VDMS's mpu401, i think.

So - can I use the vdms's sounblaster's joystickport for midi?
K.

Reply 4 of 6, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For MIDI you are just supposed to select, in LaunchPad, your desired MIDI output device (to be the external synth - e.g. via actual/physical SB gameport - and not softsynth) and then use whatever app/VDMSound settings combination that did not result in an MPU error (e.g. the SB driver?)

V.

Reply 5 of 6, by kook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

... but the launchpad causes the program to run slower than if i use the "dosdrv".
The reason that i wanted to use the midiport is because that was the original midiport on SB. As i said: i have the option to use both a MPU401 (made by Voyetra in 92) and a Soundblaster midi driver (also from 92).
At first i could not run the MPU401 one - i got the message "Interrupt not found..." or "MPU unnknown.." or just "Your hardware is not working". So i disabled the soundblaster in Autoexec.nt. Now it worked sporadicly - somtimes it loaded - other times I had to launch it two or three times before it would load. Then i tried different IRQ's i started at 9 and went down, but i should go the other way, caus i found that 3 was a good one - the mpu-driver is loading every time.
Thios was on a friend of mine's machine ( - a Dell laptop - 2,8 ghz 512 mb ram.) On my machine, and on a third machine IRQ 3 is not working, and the MPU driver will not work at all. The Soundblaster driver is workingm though.
That is why i would like to use the joystickport for midi.

Another thing: When i (on the dell flaptop) is running VDMS with Midi Yoke (i virtual midiport for connecting music apps.) things actually are working, but terribly slow. It takes about 2 seconds before the sequencer is running good when playing with a soft-synth. I've tried all possible settings in the VDMS ini file, without any luck. I do miss the memory-options you have in the shell-wizard. Maby there is something i have misunderstood? How can i get rid of the buffer problem ? (I guess that is the problem)

Thanks for an exellent program...
K.

Reply 6 of 6, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, VDMSound's emulation is really decoupled from the "real world". So in your sequncer *always* use the SoundBlaster driver, not the MPU one (that complains abut IRQs). Then, in "real life", you can use either the Voyetra or th gameport by selecting a different MIDI input/output device in LaunchPad. VDMSound will then take care and map everything through the emulation into the DOS "SB driver".