VOGONS

vdmsound on windows 7 x86?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by zatwhisky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

works vdmsound on windows 7 x86?
i have windows 7 x64.,

Reply 1 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

VDMS' functionality decreases with each new Windows OS. You can try and let us know how it works for you. BUT if you have a newer machine, then running DOSBox provides you with much more games support AND it runs on W7x64...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also you'll have to use XP video drivers for a full screen command prompt or use solvbe (or similar) to render graphics.

Neither is ideal.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2010-02-17, 14:46. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 7, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
zatwhisky wrote:

works vdmsound on windows 7 x86?
i have windows 7 x64

x64: vdmsound kaput, only dosbox can see it through

x86: it works
install it
copy vddloader.dll to \windows\system32 folder
then don't ever run it via the fancy "run with vdms" shortcuts because from Vista on they're through
at command line, run dosdrv and it installs

here
http://www.tombraiderhub.com/faq/tr1.html#advancedsol
is an example of how I've been doing it for more than 2 years on Vista 32bit, without the need to revert to any XP gfx drivers (Win7 32bit is the same: I don't have it, but many testers already confirmed it to me) within a setup bound to handle Tomb Raider 1\VDMSound\dgVoodoo\ssdh on XP and Vista (x86 only).
HTH

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 5 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
x86: it works install it copy vddloader.dll to \windows\system32 folder then don't ever run it via the fancy "run with vdms" sho […]
Show full quote

x86: it works
install it
copy vddloader.dll to \windows\system32 folder
then don't ever run it via the fancy "run with vdms" shortcuts because from Vista on they're through
at command line, run dosdrv and it installs

here
http://www.tombraiderhub.com/faq/tr1.html#advancedsol
is an example of how I've been doing it for more than 2 years on Vista 32bit, without the need to revert to any XP gfx drivers (Win7 32bit is the same: I don't have it, but many testers already confirmed it to me) within a setup bound to handle Tomb Raider 1\VDMSound\dgVoodoo\ssdh on XP and Vista (x86 only).
HTH

Maybe this could use a sticky here 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 7, by Yushatak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

VDMSound works fine on Win7-x86, I use it on my netbook. I installed XP video drivers in order to allow DOS apps to go fullscreen (and get a small performance boost in other things). Without the XP video drivers it's not worth much, as without fullscreen support 99% of games will not run.