VOGONS

First post, by Coco_Corby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How do I change the DMA polling periods for Darksun? I've tried for an hour, please someone tell me.

Reply 1 of 16, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Coco_Corby wrote:

How do I change the DMA polling periods for Darksun? I've tried for an hour, please someone tell me.

Using LaunchPad (1.0.07 or later): go to Advanced properties (of the VDMSound shortcut, or in the wizard whne prompted for settings), under Performance, and reduce the value(s)

Without using LaunchPad: edit VDMS.INI and look for minDMAPeriod and maxDMAPeriod.

A side-note: if you are concerned about the delays after each digital sound effect (in battle), then changing DMA period won't fix it. I think it's an interrupt emulation issue (Windows bug?) In any case, there is a key combination in the game with which you can disable then re-enable sound effects. Just disable sound effects before a battel and re-enable them after.

V.

Reply 2 of 16, by Coco_Corby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply, but I couldn't figure out how to do either of those things.

I installed launchpad, and I couldn't figure out where it installed to. So I didn't know where to execute from.

I also don't have the file VDMS.INI on my computer.

Reply 5 of 16, by Coco_Corby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay well I finially figured out how to work it. But ther's still a problem.

WHen I open with VDMS, I changed the dma polling periods to 1/3 like it says on this site. THe problem is I always get an erro r and I can't open the program. It says:

Debug Assertion Failed!

Program C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
File: E:\home\vladr\Work\sourceForge\vdmsound\launchpadUtil.cpp
Line:1064

If anyone knows what might be wrong I'd really appriciate some help.

Thanks,

Corbin

Reply 7 of 16, by Coco_Corby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, please bare with me, as I am quite a newbie.

I'm not too sure what exactly you mean, but I right-clicked the game, and then went to run with VDMS, then altered the DMA polling periods to 1/3.

Reply 8 of 16, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Coco_Corby wrote:
... […]
Show full quote

Debug Assertion Failed!

Program C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
File: E:\home\vladr\Work\sourceForge\vdmsound\launchpadUtil.cpp
Line:1064

Hello,

You also have to install VDMSound 2.0.4 from the VDMSound download page (as outlined in the LaunchPad README file) before LaunchPad can work. The assertion should no longer occur once VDMSound is installed.

V.

Reply 11 of 16, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You just unzip it in the VDMSound 2.0.4 installation folder and overwrite when prompted. Very low-tech update, I agree, but it does the trick.

V.

Unregistered wrote:

I have downloaded the update, but since there is no executable file in the update package, I cannot figure out how to install it.

Reply 12 of 16, by Coco_Corby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

THe one problem is I cannot find the VDMSound 2.0.4 installation folder. Like when I click install it doesn't tell me where it installed to. I've done searches on my comp and I can't figure where it's installing files too.

Reply 13 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Coco_Corby wrote:

I've done searches on my comp and I can't figure where it's installing files too.

Look at the filenames of your update files. Pick one (EmuSBCompat.dll for example).

Search all your hard drives for that filename. Whichever directory that comes up that _isn't_ your update files location; that's where it is.

Reply 15 of 16, by Coco_Corby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've just checked all the files and they are not located anywhere else. They are under c:\windows\system32 but I unzipped the update to there before and it never asked me to overwrite something so I suspect that that's not the right folder where it installs to. Can anyone tell me where it's supposed to install to?

Reply 16 of 16, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Coco_Corby wrote:

They are under c:\windows\system32 but I unzipped the update to there before and it never asked me to ...

Then VDMSound was _NOT_ installed.

Run this:
VDMSound-2.0.4-WinNT-i386.msi

Please note the install location of the files. By default, this is:
C:\Program Files\VDMSound

Shutdown and restart (to be on the safe side).
---------------------------------------------------------------
Unzip this file:
VDMSound.2.0.4.update1.zip
to the previously mentioned location.
(Overwriting the older files).
---------------------------------------------------------------
Unzip this file to your Desktop (or any place you can easily find): VDMSLaunchPad.v1.0.0.7.zip

Inside it, Double-Click the install.bat file.

If it gives you a failure message, copy it down and post it here.
If you get a "success" message: Log off, then back on.