VOGONS

System Shock Portable

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by notindeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get vdmsound to work properly with dgvesa mode in system shock portable (found here: http://localhost )

It works with mouse2kv mode, giving me stereo sound effects and emulated music, however for some reason mouse2kv mode is all psychedelic. I'm not quite sure why this is, as i seem to remember playing standalone system shock with mouse2kv in the past.

Actually, mouse2kv mode wouldn't work at all with vdmsound installed if i used the vdms.ini supplied with system shock portable, an unhandled exception occurs and the game goes to a fullscreen terminal that is unrecoverable, forcing a hard power reset. I had to copy the vdms.ini from the vdmsound directory in order to get it to work.

If i run dgvesa mode (i think this means dgvoodoo) then the game works fine graphically (except the strange menu artefacts above the video) but the sound does not with vdmsound. It states "incorrect soundcard for digital effects", and only music works.

However, one thing about dgvesa is that it does use my soundcard's loaded soundfont for the midi, whereas the mouse2kv seems to be emulating using vdmsound. I guess i can tell vdmsound somewhere to use my soundcard for the midi but i'm not really sure how to do this?

System is xp sp3 with xfi xtremegamer.

Any tips or help would be appreciated. I can provide more information or comment if that's of use.

Thanks for your time 😀

Reply 2 of 2, by notindeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok sorry, but that site i linked to merely concerns getting system shock running on a modern computer.
Also, with regards to copyright, looking glass sadly no longer exists and the rights to the first game died with them. The ip and second game are a different matter, although i remember hearing even those are scattered between different parties.