VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Every program I run with VDMS becomes "preserved". I mean if I try to delete the EXE file I just ran with VDMS Windows informs me that program is being used by another program and therefore can't be deleted. This is little annoying. Anyone has similar problems or can anybody help me with this?

Reply 2 of 6, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

It happens from time to time for me too - but not just with VDMSound, and not just .EXE's.

My solutions was simply to create a "To Be Deleted Later" folder the desktop, and drag'n'drop the locked item into the TBDL folder. Then at a later time - after a reboot - you can delete the (now unlocked) items.
--
MiniMax

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 6, by VirtuaIceMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That happens to me with ever program I ever run in VDMSound and is my biggest annoyance with it! I fix it in a somewhat unrecommended way...

On WinXP I do Ctrl+Alt+Del and bring up Windows Task Manager. I then choose Processes and End Task explorer.exe (Windows). This makes the whole desktop disappear (including any windows and any icons in the taskbar). Then I do Ctrl+Alt+Del and bring up the Windows Task Manager again, select Applications this time, click the New Task... button and type explorer in then hit return and the Desktop will return (without the windows/lower icons etc though the background programs will still be running) and now I can delete the offecnding program!

Messy and unrecommended but that's what I do.

Ice

Reply 4 of 6, by DoomGaZer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Come on you VDMS guys! There has to be a better solution to this. I am having this problem two-fold now, BTW. I also run several "open source" video playback filters and they also refuse to release their own related file types. I only post here now as I have rebooted after such an occurance with VDMSound and now, for the first time, I CANNOT delete the offending file. There needs to be a definite, bonafied fix for this. I can't even find the process that is snagging this. That means that VDMSound died in memory like the protection faults of old where TSR's would crap out and never unload. I thought all the Windows NT based OS's solved that little problem.......

Reply 5 of 6, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Neither VDMSound nor any of your filter programs have anything to do with the problem you're experiencing. Some other crap inside Explorer - virus scanner? - opens the files and doesn't close them, vdmsound doesn't open the file it just tells Windows to run it and that is that.

V.

Reply 6 of 6, by DoomGaZe

User metadata

Nah, had my Norton AV for many years now. Haven't had VDMSound or the DivX/Xvid stuff for very long and haven't had silly problems like this for very long. To be fair, it isn't the filters or the Xvid binaries that are causing the problem. It is all the other subtitle swappers and .avi identifiers and crud that gets installed along with the filters and such. BUT, I seem to have this very serious problem of not being able to delete DOS executeables AT ALL. Windows .exe's don't have this problem. The only thing I have that affects DOS executeables in Windows is VDMSound so I don't know what to think. This happened on occasion with v2.04 but not to this extent and rebooting would solve the problem. If you have any other thoughts or suggestions about this, please let me know. Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot to login. BTW, I had to delete the explorer.exe process without restarting it and then delete the file from a command prompt. Not even Safemode would work.