VOGONS

Willy Beamish CD-ROM

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by DooMStalK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to run Willy Beamish CD-ROM under Windows XP Professional using VDMSound. If I run it with the default settings, I get the error "Unable to initialize hds! mode=4, port=544". If I change the SB Emulation port to anything other than 0x220, it goes into fullscreen mode, and leaves me with a blank screen. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

In case they help, here are my sys specs:

Motherboard -
Gigabyte GA-7DX+
Processor -
AMD Athlon XP 1900+ 1.61 GHz
RAM -
256mb PC2700 Kingston DDR SDRAM
Video -
VisionTek Xtasy GeForce 3 Ti 500 64mb
Sound -
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live!
Network -
3Com EtherLink XL 10/100 PCI
Other Cards -
Sigma Designs Xcard MPEG4 Decoder
Promise ATA 100 controller
Optical Media -
Sony CRX140E 8x4x32 CD-R/RW
NEC DV5700a 16x DVD
HDDs -
30 GB IBM Deskstar DLTA-307030
120 GB Western Digital WD1200JB Special Edition
Other Drives -
IDE iomega Zip 100
Desktop resolution -
1024x768x32

Thanks for your help,

-DooMStalK

Reply 2 of 52, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

544 decimal is 220 hex, so it's SB alright. Problem is, what on earth is "mode 4"? probably SB MIDI UART (not implemented by VDMSound) -- does Willy B. let you configure Music and sound-effects separately (i.e. Roland for music and SB for soundeffects ONLY?)

V.

Reply 5 of 52, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually the CD versions of the games do cause problems because NT4/2K/XP's MSCDEX driver does not support all of the functions that the DOS MSCDEX driver does. 🙁 Usually the fix has been to splice/dice files between the floppy & CD version to play the CD version correctly and/or to use an emulator such as VPC. (Not recommended in this case since VPC is TERRIBLE at sound emulation for old DOS games)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 52, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm, "splicing" usually works with Lucas games, and may theoretically work with Sierra games, but I have no idea about the Dynamix engine. I've seen on the Usenet people having the exact same error message in DOS or Windows with PCI cards, so it may be a weirdness. i started to look at the binary, see if I can patch it, but I didn't get very far (soooo many thing to do, sooo little time and sleep...)

V.

Reply 14 of 52, by DooMStalK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just found a copy of the floppy version of Willy to test out, it seems to be very different from its CD-ROM counterpart. The original audio engine was completely MIDI in the floppy, so apparently they added the support for the digital samples later. And, as if to point out how different they are, the two versions have completely different title sequences. I think its safe to say that splicing the two versions definitely won't work.

-DooMStalK

Last edited by DooMStalK on 2002-09-08, 17:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 52, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by meowmix_in_da_hood Anyway, how do I use the amiga version? Wouldn't I need an emulator?

You sure would. It would also mean going from 256 colors to 32. Sierra wasn't very good at this either.
You can also forget voice samples.