VOGONS

First post, by SpaceDog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The sound I get when I run Ultima8 with VDMS is totally unlistenable..
I have configured the game to use "Sound Blaster", Port 220, IRQ 7, DMA 1..
I have windowsXP.

Whats wrong? Please help

Reply 1 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

What's wrong? You ask what's wrong?
It is wrong not to search the forum first!
Sound effects and speech don't work with VDMS and U8. There is no way around that.
Latest Dosbox version runs U8 though with correct sfx.

Reply 2 of 9, by Domarius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The new DMPI emulation in the latest DosBox (U8 is a DMPI game) needs a 1gig processor for a decent frame rate for a 386-486 game.

So I'm sticking with VDM Sound, and just having the sound off. For now. Till my upgrade, or when VDM Sound is updated to work with U8 digital audio. Whichever comes first.

Reply 4 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

yeah the game itself has some sort of internal threading hooked up to timer.

Very evil

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 9, by psz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Simple: OSI always wanted to "push the envelope" with their games. They always wanted to require your machine to be top of the line (Hence why U7 has that god-aweful VooDoo memory manager). IIRC, Dr. Cat was a bit disapointed in U7 because it wouldn't run worth a damn on his 386... Which sucked for him, because he was WORKING at OSI still ;->

In a way, the C64 and Apple ][ versions were better in that if it worked in 1984, it worked in 1994. Correctly. (Barring hardware problems ;->)

Time is a plaything,
But if it breaks,
You're f*****.

Reply 9 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

It runs for me (P4-2,66 GHz) in dosbox but requires you to start with a high number of cpu-cycles and this may vary from pc to pc. And then you have to skip the intro with esc and lower the cycles again to get a nice synchronisation...