VOGONS

First post, by George

User metadata

the only thing IT lacks in win2k is MIDI in/out.
I wonder if that would be possible to do?

ps: also on some (older) games, ntvdm slows down the entire app when playing sound (either adlib/sb) so realtime is gone 😒

Reply 2 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
George wrote:

If by IT, you mean "Impulse Tracker" then maybe you need to move on to Win-based tracker. I know you probably hate to hear that, but full MIDI in/out is a lot to ask for from a program primariliy designed for emulating SoundBlaster audio output.

ps: also on some (older) games, ntvdm slows down the entire app when playing sound (either adlib/sb) so realtime is gone 😒

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. You need to fill in all the relevant data if you want any help. I do recall that certain audio formats will cause this when run on an NT-based OS, but that's not VDMSound doing it, it's the OS.

Reply 3 of 8, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
George wrote:

VDMSound gives midi-out (UART mode), but no MIDI in for now.
V.

Reply 4 of 8, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As much as I love Impulse Tracker, I too agree that you need to upgrade to a Windows tracker.

ModPlug Tracker is fully-featured, freeware, and pretty much rocks the house. While I still like the tactile bits that IT provides more, MPT is the only way to get full MIDI support.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 8, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I heard once that SoundFX 2000 supported MIDI-In. I could always be wrong...

If that's the case, then SoundFX 2000's gameport "emulation" is much more robust than VDMS!

[EDIT]
Yarr, that it be...
http://www.softsystem.co.uk/page3.htm

As I've mentioned before once or twice, I really need to get on with it and make a VDMS vs. SoundFX 2000 feature comparison table. At the very least, it would give Vlad a To-Do list to aim for.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 8, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Has nothing to do with GamePort. VDMSound also supports MIDI-in at the emulation level, except that it doesn't call midiInXXX Windows functions because nobody asked for it (well, until now).

Do you really want MIDI in?! I could probably squeeze it in one of these evenings... (not very motivated, am I? 😉 ).

V.

Stiletto wrote:
I think I heard once that SoundFX 2000 supported MIDI-In. I could always be wrong... […]
Show full quote

I think I heard once that SoundFX 2000 supported MIDI-In. I could always be wrong...

If that's the case, then SoundFX 2000's gameport "emulation" is much more robust than VDMS!

[EDIT]
Yarr, that it be...
http://www.softsystem.co.uk/page3.htm

As I've mentioned before once or twice, I really need to get on with it and make a VDMS vs. SoundFX 2000 feature comparison table. At the very least, it would give Vlad a To-Do list to aim for.

Reply 7 of 8, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vladr wrote:

Has nothing to do with GamePort. VDMSound also supports MIDI-in at the emulation level, except that it doesn't call midiInXXX Windows functions because nobody asked for it (well, until now).

Do you really want MIDI in?! I could probably squeeze it in one of these evenings... (not very motivated, am I? 😉 ).

V.

Does support MIDI-in now (tested with IT /S19) , with the updated files (attached). Also gets detected by Legend games now (well, half-detected, but anyway, I'm getting there).

V.

Attachments

Reply 8 of 8, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awesome! I'll give it a shot later. I'll try to inform my tracker friends...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto