VOGONS

First post, by Ludomeister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hope somebody can help me with a problem I've never encountered before: a number of .dll files failing to register when loading the application. Of course, I'm talking about VDMSound here. And yes, I have Administrative permission. Basically, I attemtp to install VDMSound 2.0.4, and everything goes okay until I start getting a bunch of notices that such-and-such .dll failed to register. Retrying gets nowhere. Rebooting and retrying gets nowhere.

Oh yes, I'm installing on WinXP Home edition, a 2 gig machine from Dell. I've successfully installed VDMSound on no less than 3 other machines (two Dell laptops running WinXP Home ed.) and my work machine running WinXP Pro. But no luck with my home machine ... aargh!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Reply 2 of 8, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still can't track down what application is causing REGSVR32/OLE to fail like this! Do you have any sort of antivirus or installation-related program on your system???

V.

Reply 3 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know that installshield has debugging capabilities that may help in this situation. Unfortunately Installshield is a pretty big download and I don't think there is a demo ver available. It COULD be a permissions problem (yes even if you are an administrator) If you know how to check permissions on registry keys then please do so. If you don't then we'll post instructions.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I don't know if it will show anything, but there are utilities that will monitor all changes to the registry. I think www.sysinternals.com has one.

Edit: Yep - http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/regmon.shtml

Perhaps by monitoring the registry while you install will show which key(s) that is causing the problem?
--
MiniMax - "Waiting for the Exchange Server to get back up"

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions