VOGONS

First post, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, the prestige of being plugged in such a glorious PC magazine such as PC Gamer. What better place than sideways at the bottom of page sixty-four? (And why the hell do I have the November issue of PCG in mid-September??)

Oh, yeah. No mention of VOGONS. Who does a guy need to bribe to get some recognition? Seriously.

Attachments

• vdms-in-pcgamer.png
    Filename
    vdms-in-pcgamer.png
    File size
    66.28 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 10, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh, indeed. I'm tempted to write in, but then I realise that it's very unlikely that my message would ever be published. (This has been my belief ever since they held a write-in contest for best game idea, and despite my submitting it FIVE TIMES (after each issue published during the timeline of the contest), it was NEVER published, even though when the contest was over and they listed their criteria, it matched almost EVERY SINGLE ONE! Bastards...)

Though, maybe, if we set up a mailing chain, and get the V (that's "the V" not "TheVede" -- don't confuse it) himself to write in...

Another thing I just loved about the article is that it had no mention of DosBox, GliDOS, NAGI, FreeSCI, ScummVM, VirtualPC, Bochs, or any of the other programs out there.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Unfortunately, the "PC Gamer" crew has precious little interest in "the Classics". Most would rather play a buggy Beta of "The Next Big Thing" than a solid DOS classic.

Maybe, Colonel Trotter would listen if we can show how to run all those DOS wargames like "Perfect General", etc....

Reply 4 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

and Andy Mahood simcolumn@pcgamer.com for the flight sims.

They seem like the 2 most interested in the oldies.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 10, by DooMStalK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's why I stopped my subscription after 7 or 8 years of reading PC Gamer, their staff just isn't what it used to be. Not to mention the fact that they slimmed down just about every feature that made the magazine more worthwhile than online sources (columns, letters, ect.). Its too bad really, they used to be a superb publication.

-DS

Reply 7 of 10, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DS, I totally agree with you. I don't think I'm going to be renewing my subscription. The only thing I find good about it (and this is only with the disc version) is that they have a database of every single game they've ever reviewed (and their reviews are usually spot-on or near to it). Speaking of the disc version, did you get the magazine with disc 3.x? Those were great. They had this FMV of walking into this elevator that went down to the PCG studio, and they had coconut monkey make funny noises and stuff, and, aw, it was very ambient and terribly cool. I just liked it. 😜

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 9 of 10, by DooMStalK

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Their reviews haven't been all that great lately either. You can generally get reviews that are just as good, and in much timlier fashion from sites like IGN or GameSpot. On a side note, has anyone ever noticed that being part of their annual "Top 10 Games of (Intert upcoming year here)" feature is like the kiss of death? Almost every game previewed there A) Gets Delayed for several years B) Gets cancelled C) Sucks D) A and C E) B and C

-DS