VOGONS

First post, by crazzuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi i've got a strange problem with this old game.

i installed it after findin it on the shelf after forgetting about it for a few years. Everything worked fine until I tryed running it with VDMSound the game just freezes with a blank screen? any ideas on whats wrong?

The strange thing is it works fine without it even the speech is fine but no midi music at all.

The speech is set to Soundblaster and midi to general midi and i'm using windows XP.

Cheers in advance.

Reply 2 of 20, by crazzuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok i tryed that but still no luck and turned on diagnostic mode on everything to see if it had any info in it.
All i got was:
Could not obtain the dependency 'AdLib'; using a default value
instead. Description follows:
0x80004004 - Operation aborted

does that help? I didnt even set the game to use adlib.🙁

Reply 4 of 20, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crazzuk wrote:
Ok i tryed that but still no luck and turned on diagnostic mode on everything to see if it had any info in it. All i got was: […]
Show full quote

Ok i tryed that but still no luck and turned on diagnostic mode on everything to see if it had any info in it.
All i got was:
Could not obtain the dependency 'AdLib'; using a default value
instead. Description follows:
0x80004004 - Operation aborted

does that help? I didnt even set the game to use adlib.🙁

First, install "Update 1" to get rid of the "black screen". Get it from http://vdmsound.sourceforge.net/files/VDMSoun … 0.4.update1.zip , and unzip into the VDMSound installation directory (typically C:\Program Files\VDMSound); overwrite when prompted.

Second, your AdLib setup appears to be broken (so you won't get AdLib/SoundBlaster music). Did you alter any files (e.g. VDMS.INI)? Also, did you ever install an older version of VDMSound (e.g. v2.0.3?) Does the error about Adlib still occur after having installed "Update 1"?

V.

Reply 5 of 20, by crazzuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok i installed the update and lost that adlib problem. but i'm still getting a blank screen when trying it, i even tryed deleting and reinstalling all of VDMSound with the update and its still doing the same thing. Guess this game is just too old and rare to work.

Thanks if you can help though

Reply 6 of 20, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's a nice review of the game:
http://www.mrbillsadventureland.com/reviews/s … heR/toucheR.htm
Here's another one:
http://www.quandaryland.com/1997/touche.htm
Here's another:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/gameId=1114/

And it reminds me of Monkey Island... and it's found for illegal download at Home of the Underdogs. 😮

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 7 of 20, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Weird that "Update 1" didn't fix the freeze and that running without VDMSound has speech. I think I have a copy at home, I'll see if I can give it a whirl (don't have XP, though, so will have to try CLI2NOP myself).

V.

Reply 8 of 20, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I can't find the game though I was certain I had it. In the meantime can you enable diagnostic (logging), run the game until it freezes, then zip up and attach the VDMS.LOG file here?

Thx,
V.

Reply 9 of 20, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:

And it reminds me of Monkey Island... and it's found for illegal download at Home of the Underdogs. 😮

All Abandonware is illegal, technically. I don't think the companies that made Touché Fifth Musketeer really care, since I don't really think that they exist anymore. Plus, the game was released 7 years ago.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 11 of 20, by crazzuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok its a long way getting round the problem but it seems to work.

First you have to use the windows XP config.nt and autoexec.nt, then you have to disable the soundblaster and adlib emulation in VDMS.

Next you have to make sure the midi is set to Microsoft GS Software Synth (Kept saying the SBLIVE was in use even though it wasnt).

If i do all that it works but there must be an easier way around this problem, plus the sound keeps slowing down and cracking, i take it thats due to XP's dos sound card emulation.

Would be nice to have stereo sound in this game though.

Crazz

Reply 13 of 20, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, according to the log the game didn't even "touch" the SB emulation (or the emulated hardware in general), so it's probably just an environment issue. As a matter of fact the game exits just a few milliseconds after it starts. Try disabling EMS, and try again. Or,

1) Open a DOS prompt
2) Go to the game directory
3) run install or whatever and set IRQ to 5 (XP's settings)
4) run the game -- does it work?

then

1) Open a DOS prompt
2) Go to the game directory
3) Run DOSDRV.EXE (loads up VDMSound)
4) run install or whatever and set IRQ to 7 (VDMSound's settings)
5) run the game -- does it work?

V.

Reply 14 of 20, by bushwakko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

since nobody really cares for the copyright of this game, wouldn't it only be fair for the game that it be made public, on say a site, by say someone on this forum which have the cd and makes an iso? 😀 I really want the talkie version, however, i need to get it to work too ;P

Reply 16 of 20, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How did you get it to work? Please fill in a compatibility report on the compatibility database as soon as SourceForge gets their MySQL database back up (it's down right now).

V.

Reply 18 of 20, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by vladr How did you get it to work? Please fill in a compatibility report on the compatibility database as soon as SourceForge gets their

I was helping him in this thread, Vlad:
showthread.php?threadid=427

Of course, I would've appreciated it if he had come back to his original thread and told us that it fixed the problem, rather than come here and make a "warez" request.

Reply 19 of 20, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bushwakko wrote:

ok, got it to work, now i just need the talkie version. any good ideas on where to get it?

No warez requests, please, bushwakko.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto