VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hey.. i just installed the VDMSound.. sweet work! It works like a charm. I wonder why the speech doesn't work in King's Quest 6. I selected it in the install and it detets sb compatible. I have the DOS version of the game... The speech doesn't work because the game doesn't have it or there are some special options i have to enable?

Reply 1 of 12, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1) Your copy of the game probably doesn't have speech (how big is it? If it's under 100MB then it's the floppy version and there definitely is no speech). The intro (otpional, doesn't come with all copies of the floppy version of the game) has speech, though.

2) KQ6 has a bug in its digital audio driver that results in digital sound effects (as well as speech during the intro) not working (the game would report an error with "audio hardware" when started). I had a patched version hanging around that got detected and worked OK other than the fact that the last sound to play would loop infinitely until another sound would play. 🙁

V.

Reply 2 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Was that similar to the new Sound Blaster driver that Sierra released for their old DOS games a while ago? I remember that Space Quest 5, no matter WHAT I did (old driver, new driver, red driver, blue driver) insisted that I did not have valid sound hardware and didn't play any SFX. (This was the version on the SQCollection CD.) Don't suppose you've got an answer for this one, Vlad, do you? Because I sure as hell don't...😒

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 12, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually SQ5 (floppy version) worked OK for me with the updated driver from Sierra (or was it from LSL6? Can't remember). KQ6 was more complicated, I actually had to hex-edit the driver since no replacement would work.

V.

Reply 4 of 12, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Awww..... no speech. Too bad...

Jeez, I have never EVER had speech on King's Quest 6 because my family took a long time to go to CD ROM and we have the floppy disk versions of King's Quest 5, 6 and Space Quest 4, also of Sam and Max, and Eco Quest... In all those games there was a lot of talking I missed out on.... 🙁

Well, forgive me. I shouldn't take it out on you. I plan on buying the CD versions of all those games (if I can find them on Ebay or somewhere), and sell the floppy versions. Not like anyone will buy them off me...

Well, good luck with your problem. You're lucky to have the CD version. 😉

Reply 5 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vladr wrote:

Actually SQ5 (floppy version) worked OK for me with the updated driver from Sierra (or was it from LSL6? Can't remember). KQ6 was more complicated, I actually had to hex-edit the driver since no replacement would work.

It might be time to get the HEXer out again. The floppy version I obtained works after driver update, but the CD version does not, period.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dyinginformant wrote:

I plan on buying the CD versions of all those games ...

Try going to Half-Price books and clicking on "Neighborhood locations" to see if there's a Half-Price bookstore near you. This is where I've found the majority of mine. Actually, I used to grab them out of the $1.88 bin at CompUSA, but apparently they've stopped using that.

Also check at various places where you buy software for "Clearance Racks" or "Bargain Bins".

Reply 7 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I found Alien Virus, which is apparently an uber-rare game, at Petter's Warehouse for something like $5. I should've bought more copies -- I would've made a huge profit. *sigh*

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 10 of 12, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No patch files, but here's my resource.cfg

videoDrv = VGA320.DRV
soundDrv = ADL.DRV
audioDrv = AUDBLAST.DRV
joyDrv = JOYSTICK.DRV
kbdDrv = IBMKBD.DRV
mouseDrv = STDMOUSE.DRV
memoryDrv = ARM.DRV
directory = \SIERRA\KQ6CD
minHunk = 207k
language = 1
cmd = kq6cd
sync = .\
audio = .\
audioSize = 8K
cd = YES
movieDir=J:\seq;.\

I'm using a via 266a chipset (asus a7v266e m/b), amd 1700+ processor, 512 MB RAM, audigy soundcard. The VDMS IRQ is 7, the low DMA is 1, and the high DMA is 5. Hope this helps.