VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I have the CD version of Sam & Max. When I run the setup file, the dos window which says "loading drivers..." pops up for a second or two, then disappears. Nothing happens. However, if I just run the game file, the game starts, but a black screen with "unable to initialize sound drivers" pops up first, then the game runs, but with no sound, voice, music, nothing.

Anyway, how do I fix this, or can it be fixed?

Reply 1 of 8, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sound won't work with Sam'n'Max, period. However, there is a project called ScummVM that is working on making a Windows SCUMM interpreter (eg. to get it working! and under Windows, so you don't need to deal with VDMSound). I don't recall whether or not Sam'n'Max actually works in it, however. Still, it's worth a shot. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 8, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

>, if I just run the game file, the game starts, but a black screen with "unable to initialize sound drivers" pops up first, then the game runs, but with no sound<

You didn't mention your Windows version.

Since I've seen the "unable to initialize" warning many times either under Win9x or WinXP, while the 'treatment' is going to be much different, you should state what O.S. is running.

No doubt among the various dos games I have been struggling to keep playing as each Windows generation pops up Sam'n'max hit the road is in my experience one of the hardest to arrange.

Generally, if it's Win9x it has to be a matter of properly initializing the soundcard drivers. Just having the drivers (if they exist 🙁 ) installed some way or another doesn't mean it's enough to get started.

Under WinXP even a good sb-emulator like Sound FX 2000 will fail here.
Try VDMSound or ScummVM with or without Quick and Easy.
VDMsound requires you to accomplish a filemix between some files from the cdrom and the floppy disks versions of the game first.
Imho ScummVM is real far from satisfactory as fas as Sam'n'max sound quality and management are concerned.
VDMSound has far lesser problems, in fact I can only think of two :
the memory management message, no big deal in itself, plus the (probably related) strange behavior of Conroy Bumpus singing a mute song in Bumpusville.

Reply 5 of 8, by bgbennyboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, Quick and Easy does the filemix for you.
Yes at the moment ScummVM has problems with Sam and Max sound (wrong instruments playing at times etc..) this is due to an incomplete implementation of s+m imuse at the moment. This is bound to be fixed soon so ScummVM is your best bet for sam and max in the future.

Reply 8 of 8, by Unregistered

User metadata
Snover wrote:

Sound won't work with Sam'n'Max, period. However, there is a project called ScummVM that is working on making a Windows SCUMM interpreter (eg. to get it working! and under Windows, so you don't need to deal with VDMSound). I don't recall whether or not Sam'n'Max actually works in it, however. Still, it's worth a shot. 😀

I run sam&max (some cd-rip version) and get all sounds (sfx, voice samples and so on) without problems on Win2k and latest VDMSound. Standard vanilla setup.