VOGONS

First post, by Grapeman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just recently got back my old CD of Star Wars: Tie Fighter. This happens to be the Colectors Edition so it's on CD which helps a bit. I've had problems before with it on older sysytems ( memory ) but with this comp (P4, 1.6GHz, XP Pro ) it should run like a dream... and it does.

Except for the sound. I can't get the game to configure my sound card. And when I do, it won't run the game. So I downloaded VDM Sound and what do you know... it doesn't work as well.

What happens is when I try to run it with VDM it gives me a error message 3, which tells me that either I don't have the disc in the drive, or my drivers are shot. I had the disc in ( double checked ) and the drivers work fine, and yet it still won't work. Someone please help!!!!

Thank you,

Grapeman, the SW nerd who can't play his game.

God I wish I knew what the hell I'm doing....

Reply 2 of 6, by shadowfield

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The collectors edition is still dos.

I just tried my copy of the game with VDM and i get the same result. I tried to run the set up for tie fighter using VDM and it says i cant install the game from the a hard drive, and i should run the set up from the CD. If someone could find a work around or a fix for this, that would be nice 😄

Reply 3 of 6, by Grapeman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was told by vladr that this would fix the problem, but I'm having troubles with it.

You must nable low-level CD-ROM support in VDMSound. You either do that in the LaunchPad properties if using VDMSound LaunchPad or inside VDMS.INI otherwise. Don't mix the two please.
V.

So if anyone gets it fixed, let me know.

God I wish I knew what the hell I'm doing....

Reply 4 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

I had the same problem, just go to your TIE directory and run the game with TIEAUTO.EXE usind VDMS (CD-Rom must be enabled)

Using VMDS v2.04, I can play it very well, but only with SB16 sound. My MIDI emulation only works with v2.10 (at least sometimes) but with 2.10 the whole game lags (Other games too).

Does anyone know how to fix this?