VOGONS

Sam and Max

Topic actions

First post, by Jon

User metadata

I have just bougth a budget copy of Sam and Max on CD which is a DOS4GW program which runs under XP native BUT with no sound. So I tuned to VDMSound as it worked well with Day of the Tentacle for me. But when I run S&M with VDM it crashes with a access violation and a screen of nubers and text.

The compatabilty list has S&M on it but mentions a INSTALL program which is not on the CD version I have??

Any help appreciated.

Jon

Reply 1 of 1, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jon wrote:
I have just bougth a budget copy of Sam and Max on CD which is a DOS4GW program which runs under XP native BUT with no sound. S […]
Show full quote

I have just bougth a budget copy of Sam and Max on CD which is a DOS4GW program which runs under XP native BUT with no sound. So I tuned to VDMSound as it worked well with Day of the Tentacle for me. But when I run S&M with VDM it crashes with a access violation and a screen of nubers and text.

The compatabilty list has S&M on it but mentions a INSTALL program which is not on the CD version I have??

Any help appreciated.

Jon

You have to create a hybrid floppy/cd version or use ScummVM.

To create the hybrid version:
- copy CD version to a directory on the HDD
- download the floppy version from the 'net (or get the main floppy .exe as a self-extracting archive from Lucas' site)
- extract to the directory where you copied the floppy version -- overwrite everything except mounster.sou (if applicable)
- erase samnmax.sm0 and samnmax.sm1 (if applicable)
- rename samnmax.000 as samnmax.sm0 and samnmax.001 as samnmax.sm1
- try to run the game with VDMSound now

If speech is 50% too slow then, in LaucnhPad, in the SAMNMAX.EXE VDMSound shortcut' advanced properties, under Troubleshooting, under Custom Configuration, paste the following lines:

[SBController.config]
forceSampleRate = 22050

More details here.

V.