VOGONS

First post, by quark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just wonder if it's possible to force full-screen on DOS applications launched with the VDMSound Launcher. When creating an ordinary Windows PIF, you can set the application to launch in full-screen in the "Screen" tab of the PIF property window.

I can't find any corresponding option anywhere in VDMSound. Does it exist? The application I'm otherwise running perfectly with VDMSound is Impulse Tracker. The only thing that's missing is to have the application instantly run in full-screen instead of a window.

«Just because the fuck has a library card, it doesn't make him Yoda» - Detective David Mills, Se7en.

Reply 1 of 5, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, the option exists, it's actually the "enable basic VESA" or whatever. That said, we've seen for whatever reason that that option causes slowdown moreso than if you just hit alt+enter right when the process was initiating.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 5, by quark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm. Yes, "Enable basic VESA support" did slow down everything quite considerably. Couldn't there be added an option that doesn't enable VESA, but just does the ALT+ENTER function somehow? It must be possible to do this to the window through the Windows API, no?

Also, it would be cool if the VDMS window had the icon and title of the created shortcut, not just the regular Command Prompt icon and "VDMS Launchpad - xxx" as a title.

«Just because the fuck has a library card, it doesn't make him Yoda» - Detective David Mills, Se7en.

Reply 4 of 5, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
quark wrote:

Hm. Yes, "Enable basic VESA support" did slow down everything quite considerably. Couldn't there be added an option that doesn't enable VESA, but just does the ALT+ENTER function somehow? It must be possible to do this to the window through the Windows API, no?

I did use the Windows API to create a small executable last year to try out this idea. Give it a try in a batch file to execute some game and see if there is still a "slowdown".

Program Description:

Makes console windows go hardware fullscreen.
Uses undocumented Win95/98/Me WM_COMMAND
Uses undocumented WinNT/2K/XP+ SetConsoleDisplayMode
or as fallback sends ALT-ENTER to console window
Sets Console Screen and Screen-Buffer size to 80x25
Sets/Resets SystemParameter ActiveWindowsTrackingDelay
Sets Console Environment variable 'NTVTM=FULLSCREEN'

Compiled with Delphi version 6.0 (Build 6.240) Update 2
Author = dvwjr

Date = 07/07/2003
Version information = v1.1.0.0
Supported OS(s) = WinNT4, Win2K, WinXP, Win2003Server, Win95, Win98, WinMe
Notes = Added OS version checks and support for Win95/Win98/WinMe
Added support for setting Window Size and Buffer to 80x25
Fixed String memory allocation bug in Function GetConsoleHWnd
Added support for ActiveWindowTrackingDelay to prevent loss of focus
Added support for Console Environment variable NTVDM for future TSR

The name of the program is "FullScrn.exe" and should be attached to this message.

Hope this helps...

dvwjr

Attachments

• Filename
    fullscrn.exe
    File size
    43.5 KiB
    Downloads
    204 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 5, by quark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I might try that out whenever I get VDMS to allocate EMS to my application again. Suddenly, VDMS dont allocate any EMS at all.