VOGONS

First post, by squirrel9000

User metadata

I am trying to get magic carpet plus working on my computer with VDMsound (athlon xp 2500+, nf7-s onboard sound, radeon 9700pro) and can only get the music to work. It has an ingame setup screen. Have any of you had more luck with this great game?

Reply 4 of 17, by tonyo123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

*** corrrections made ***

optimus$prime-

Can you give those exact settings for both VDMSound and Magic Carpet. No matter what I try I get one of two scenarios:

- with Midi get music but no sound effects

- with SB SF as you suggested I get an AdLib exception code. It seems to be the same for whatever FM option I enable.

I have tried numerous options but no luck.

Thanks in advance-

tonyo123

P.S.

So close but yet so far...

Reply 6 of 17, by pennstat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😳 😊

My apologies to everyone. The post that follows is what I experienced in DOSBox, not VDMSound. I didn't realize that until too late. I found the threat while in the DOSBox forum and after doing a search. I didn't realize that the search encompassed the entirety of the Vogons system.

Since my experience with DOSBox was the exact same as those in VDMSound, hopefully there is some common work that can be done to resolve the issue. Oh, well.

As for this post occurring before the real post ... heh ... duplicate.

*sigh* This just isn't turning out to be my day...

Last edited by pennstat on 2005-01-11, 04:15. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 7 of 17, by pennstat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been able to get Magic Carpet to work under Windows 2000 using the SoundBlaster and SB FM combination as well, but it's just not the same without directional audio and general MIDI. It just doesn't feel right. Oh, well.

I tried a few different combinations and came up with the following. Hopefully, this will help the developers to find what might be the problem. I doubt that MC is the only game that suffers from this.

Original SoundBlaster and SoundBlaster FM - no problem.
SoundBlaster Pro and SoundBlaster FM - no digial audio.
SoundBlaster 16 and original SoundBlaster FM - no digial audio.
SoundBlaster 16 and general MIDI - no digital audio.
Original SoundBlaster and general MIDI - no digital audio.
SoundBlaster Compatible and general MIDI - no digital audio.

I originally thought that it was an 8-bit/16-bit issue, but apparently not since even the SoundBlaster Pro (8-bit) doesn't work either.

Unfortunately, the game doesn't support Gravis UltraSound or else I would have tried that. It does support Pro Audio Spectrum, but obviously DOSBox doesn't specifically support that.

So, there is something about this game that does not appreciate having anything other than a true SoundBlaster card selected in DOSBox. And I also ran into the problem of the game dropping to the DOS prompt when selecting the spell list, but not every time. There was nothing consistent about it.

"Magic Carpet" IMHO was a revolutionary game. Great atmosphere; great design; 100% truly deformable terrain; and the two TRUE 3D options (not the pseudo-3D that has been accepted by the gaiming community) were a scream to play! This game is one reason why I kept an old 233 MHz Pentium around for a long time.

I know that it's unrealistic to expect the developers to spent time to try to diagnose one game, but I hope that this is resolved. This game is so much fun and there are others how have problems with SoundBlaster 16 audio. So, fixing it on this might resolve those other issues as well.

If there is any kind of registerlogging that I can do to help to diagnose possible problems, just let me know.

Reply 8 of 17, by Thotihe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am a sadistic bastard.

I kinda-sorta have this thing working with DosBox, but I wanna play high-res like I used to, and with less crashes, so now I'm trying my hand at VDMSound.

With the default settings, I often get this error right when the music starts:

An exception occured in Thread 2044 (AdLib Playback)
(No Description Available)
Do you want to continue? [MsgBox Y/N]

Mind you, the thread # is random each time...

Disabling Adlib don't help - as apparently whatever kills the Adlib also kills the sound emulation - just with no error message.

However, the thing is, if I leave this error on the screen, launch ANOTHER copy of Carpet.exe under VDMSound. Alt-Tab back to the error, and tell it "no" - the NEW instance runs fine... and you really don't want to know how long I fiddled with it before I figured that one out. 😳

Problem is, it still runs at a bazillion miles per hour and is unplayable as a result... Even with the Cap Dos timing on...

So I tried SPEEDSET.EXE (thoughtfully included with the Beta). Without VDMSound, this works fine... With it, however, makes the mouse and keyboard lock so long as there is sound playing.

So I tried MOSLO... Wihout VDMSound, this works much more smoothly than Speedset - down right perfectly, realy. But with it - well, same crap: locks mouse and keyboard.

So, in short, my questions are:
1) How to avoid Adlib Playback error
2) How to get it to work with Moslo/Speedset

System Info (as per sticky request):
===========================
Mobo: Abit IS7-E (865PE Intel Chipset)
Ram: 1Gb PC3200 DC 400DDR
Vid: BFG 6800Ultra OC 256MB (77.93 drivers)
Sound: Audigy2 ZS Platinum (Latest WDM only drivers)
Game: Magic Carpet (All Versions)
Reproducable: Yes
Sound Mode: VDM: Default Settings MC: (Standard Sound Blaster)
Video Mode: MC is Software mode me thinks... 300x200 and 640x480
Version: 2.1.0 beta
Steps Attempted: Played wildly with settings and sound devices both in VDM and MC, seems the default settings worked best. Tried using Speedset/MoSlo with and without batch files. Other than that, see above. Oh, and rebooted, lots.

Reply 9 of 17, by LorenzoDV

User metadata

Hello everyone and thanks for this forum.

I have the exact same problem with Magic Carpet original (I don't think it's the "plus" one). Somehow digital audio and MIDI music can't get along.

SB16 and no music - works
SB16 and General MIDI - no sfx
SB16 and Adlib FM - works but music is bad synthetized by Adlib

The strange thing is that SB16 works alone but fails when coupled with general midi. Tried both VDMSound 2.0.4 and 2.1 beta: no difference. All other games work great with VDMSound.

Any solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated. I don't wanto to run MC in DosBox because it runs way too slow and it's almost unplayable there.

Reply 15 of 17, by mordekai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! I've a problem with the sound than no one has I think. I use sound blaster with the default configuration and I have sound but it goes in silence for I while each 2 seconds, and then comes back. Maybe it´s a common issue with dosbox? I don't know.

Thanks for your help.

Reply 16 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Go to the [mixer] section of your dosbox.conf

Modify the rate, blocksize and prebuffer values to suit your needs.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 17 of 17, by Guest

User metadata

Hi, I've been wanting to get this game (Magic Carpet Plus) working too.

Using VDMS, I always get a message about "An exception occured in Thread...", or I just get a black screen after choosing my audio options (I must reboot after this, because even if I Alt-Enter, I can't close the Command Prompt even with Task Manager!). I did manage to actually get INTO the game at one point (no sound though), but I can't remember what settings I used.

Has anyone found a way to at least get the game to START with FX (I don't mind about not having music yet, I just want to play it!) on? If so, could you post the correct settings for the game itself and VMDS please?

Thanks.