VOGONS

First post, by Domarius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
  • Recently bought an old DOS game, DarkLight Conflict, for 65 cents AUD!
  • It needs the CD to run.
  • Runs through XP fine - except stuttery sound and no joystick detected, so I want to use VDM Sound
  • Run with VDM, sounds great, can't test the joystick because when I get to the menu, it starts asking for the CD, (in its own dialogue box - this is not a system message, it is a message from the game). This is the same thing that happens normally, when the CD is not in the drive, but with VDM enabled, it ALWAYS happens, with the CD in the drive or not.
  • Have tried with MSCDEX checked and unchecked in VDM, no difference.
  • I thought it might be that I ran the install program without VDM running, and maybe VDM changes the drive letters. Problem is, I can't run the install program with VDM, because it crashes to the prompt with "DOS/4GW error (2001): exception 00h (divide by zero) at 327:035403FD" and a whole bunch of hex letters

I feel that my problem could be solved if;

• I could work out why it thinks the CD isn't there anymore, just because VDM is running. Does it change the drive letters? If so, I want to edit the way VDM changes the drive letters so it names them correctly
  • If it is a simple drive letter re-naming because of VDM, I could run the install program with VDM active, so when it sets the drive letter, it will be the same drive letter when I run the game with VDM enabled.

Can anyone figure out why the game can't find the CD when VDM is running, but CAN find it when VDM isn't running?

Here is that extra info, though I can't see how it would help in this case.
* Motherboard = don't know, ASUS PBF something or other
* Processor type and speed = P3-450
* Amount and type of RAM = 384, no idea what type
* Video board w/ RAM amount and type = Geforce2, 64MB
* Sound board = SBLive!
* Operating system =WinXP
* Game name = DarkLight Conflict
* Description of problem = see above
* Reproducibility of problem = see above
* Sound mode used = not sure what this means, I enabled adlib, sound blaster, etc in VDM sound if that's what it means
* Video mode = this game isn't 3D accellerated
* Version of emulator = 2.1.0
* Steps already attempted to solve the problem = see above, yes I read the readme, there wasn't much to read...?

Reply 1 of 1, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you checked the "Enable low-level CD-ROM support" box in the VDMS shortcut properties?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers