VOGONS

First post, by ddraigcymraeg

User metadata

Hi,
I successfully got Blood and SShock1 to work in XP, using VDMSound shortcuts and played them ok. Now when I try to play them the both seem to freeze right away.
Blood get stuck on 'Demo Loading Please Wait' and System Shock just a black screen.
I havent made any significant system changes that Im aware, I did install XP service pack 2, but Im almost positive I checked to see that they worked after I installed.
I uninstall vdmsound and reinstall and that doesnt help.
Any ideas why this may occur? Could service pack2 be a problem?

thanks for any ideas.

Reply 1 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

I error logged both games and according to vdms log, vdmssound ran the processes ok. For blood I got dma transfer period warnings but I presume this isnt critical? For sshock1 I didnt get any warnings or errors after the message that dos process cdshock.exe was running.
I 'removed' XP sp2 in add/remove programs and this didnt help and I dont think that this is the culprit.
Besides sp2, I have installed a few games and some dvd burning suites like Nero and DVDXCopy as well as WinIPAC for a new Slikstik joystick, also I enabled my trial period Norton Anti-virus software which I disabled in services and startup.
It must be something which got added and I read in the vdmsound faq that certain drivers using full direct io will cause vdmsound to fail, but I havent added anything like Sysoft Sandra and my system and system32 directories dont have anything new in them except for some securom dlls.

Looks like I may do a system back up onto my usb HD and reinstall 😒

Reply 3 of 6, by ddraig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

w00t! Got it working
Did a search for Ke386 and found that I had 'portpro.sys' in my system32/drivers which somehow got installed since I played last, renamed it to portpro.bak and rebooted.

It really does pay to be patient and read all the forum threads first 😊

Thanks for these forums guys!

Reply 4 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good work! Most people don't bother searching....probably because they aren't used to searching forums.

You get a gold star!

gold%2520star.jpg

😉

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are many people who have been attempting to get the source code released. In fact just recently I spotted a post over at 3drealms forums (I think it was 3drealms) where they were talking about contacting the current owners of the Blood license. Of course any requests coming from just a few people are bound to be ignored and online petitions don't really work that well for getting source code released. The best way would be to get everybody who cares about Blood to write snail-mail asking for the source to be released......that's if anyone has the time to organize such a huge project.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline