VOGONS

First post, by upperclasslemon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey! Dunno if this is the right place to put this but here it goes....

Can anyone help me? I'm trying this on Windows XP, with the DOTT & Sam & Max CD version, budget range thingy mabob!

I've got Sam & Max workin with speech both with Quick & Easy and doing the Hybrid mix (Mixin CD Version & Floopy)... Using VDMSound with Q&E NOT SCUMMVM. This is my problem...

🙁 I know this happens when u use SCUMMVM, but why does it still happen even when I do the filemix manually or use VDMSound?!? 😕 It plays phantom sounds! e.g. when S&M get out of their car it plays a toilet flushing or the ants cheering when you go into Snuckeys.

So is there any way to stop this? Patch code to put in VDMLauch config or .ini? ANYTHING!?!?! THere has to be a way. I mean i got talkie version working on XP!!! Your help is greatly appreciated!!!!

THANKS!!!!! 😀

upperclasslemon

Reply 1 of 12, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, that's a weird one. I'd say the sound file is bonkers or you have a weird version of S&M that expects sounds to be stored in a different order in the sounds file. Is this the European (DVD) S&M, or the North American compilation? Check with the author of Q&E to see if you have the same files as he does (since his version appears to work just fine after the filemix, which is what I think Q&E is doing anyway).

V.

Reply 3 of 12, by bgbennyboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

By that I presume you mean the latest dvd case one?

Yeah Q+E just does the filemix, i'll ask around the lec community to see if I can find someone with that version to test with.
Like Vlad says it sounds like the structure of the resource files has changed in your version, which does seem very unlikely.
Can you do a crc of your samnmax.000 and samnmax.001? Also can you run 'samnmax.exe /?' and get the scumm version and build date that it prints ?

The dodgy noises in scummvm with s+m should be mostly fixed now, click auto-update on the scummvm tab to get the latest daily build and then try it.

Reply 5 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bgbennyboy wrote:

By that I presume you mean the latest dvd case one?

This must be the recent re-release I had heard about in Europe. I had thought someone had said it was a DVD, but apparently it's just a DVD "package". I remember the guy who bought it was plenty hacked off as he had expected that these were Win9x source-ports of the originals, but Lucas had just re-released the DOS originals; two games that won't work properly on new machines.

Reply 6 of 12, by upperclasslemon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bgbennyboy wrote:

Can you do a crc of your samnmax.000 and samnmax.001? Also can you run 'samnmax.exe /?' and get the scumm version and build date that it prints ?

Hey! Thanks guys 4 da help!

Sorry... I'm a bit stupid... what does CRC mean I must do? 😀
MMM... the samnmax.exe /? shows the date & build as:
Interpreter version 7.0.2 (Jun 02 1994)
Thanks so will also try SCUMMVM!

Reply 8 of 12, by upperclasslemon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok.. the checksums are:
Samnmax.000 = a277c40d and
Samnmax.001 = e813ff59 and for interest sake
Samnmax.exe = 92ee12e6
Just tried scummvm & works fine so far, no phantom sounds etc. where there was before! Hmmm... wonder if it's fine the whole game...

Reply 9 of 12, by bgbennyboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Exactly the same checksums as in the white label s+m release. So the dvd case version is still exactly the same.

I suggest uninstalling q+e, deleting the folder, reinstalling and doing the filecopy again. Should work then, something weird mustve happened the first time.

Reply 10 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it's on DVD, and you hard-code the locations, bgbennyboy (bad! heh), it's very possible that the executable is in an obscure location that Q+E doesn't understand.

Yes, it’s my fault.