VOGONS

Secret of Monkey Island Sound Problems

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hi...I was wondering if I could get some help. I'm on Windows 2K Professional, on this crappy Compaq MV540 where Windows 2K is not quite supported. My sound disappears sometimes when browsing the internet, and I just wanted to prenotify you that this computer has sound problems. I'm trying to run Secret of Monkey Island. It came on a CD with Monkey Island II:LeChuck's Revenge and a demo of Curse of Monkey Island. My problem is: I can get the program working, with no sound, or I can't get the program working period because of the low-level CD report problem even though I've already edited the .ini file for VDMS, and rebooted/logged out etc. I have already installed the update 1 and launchpad. I made a .bat file to configure it to Roland, but it doesn't help. For MIDI music in Sounds/Multimedia Properties, it's set to Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth. The digital audio output device is SoundMAX Digital Audio. I have also installed a copy of the VDMS.ini file in the MONKEY directory, I can't remember where I read to do that, I think it was on the support forum. Secret of Monkey Island is supposedly compatible, at least on the floppy disk. I don't quite understand the "Invoke using 'MONKEY R' for MIDI." statement on the compatability page though. I've also already downloaded the two updates for it at the LucasArts site and installed them. I was also wondering if there are any differences between the floppy and CD? I've tried running MONKEY.exe normally, right clicking and opening with VDMS, right clicking and opening with VDMS with DOS music and Joystick support, and also opening with LEC Quick and Easy, I'm not sure how many people use this program, but the website is here http://quick.mixnmojo.com/ , I orginally started to try for game support on my new computer here http://www.scummbar.com/resources/articles/read.php?id=22. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Reply 1 of 12, by bgbennyboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The 2 patches on the lucasarts site are for the floppy version, not the cd version that you say you have.
Your version sounds like the monkey madness version, if so it wont work in vdmsound mode with the current version of quick and easy because the name of its .exe is different to all other MI cd versions (I hardcoded the exe name in).
Nevertheless it really should work with bog standard vdmsound, im not sure what you mean by the 'low-level CD report problem' perhaps someone else will.
Differences between the floppy and cd version (for mi1):
The cd version has the music as cd audio tracks
The SCUMM interpreter (exe) is a different version for the cd version than the floppy version(s)
The cd version is vga - theres 2 floppy versions either ega or vga
The cd version has the enhanced (mi2-like) interface (pictures of objects in the inventory rather than words, the vga floppy version may have this too though I cant remember).

If you are trying to run mi1 from hd (as it sounds like you are trying to do with the patches) you wont hear audio because the audio is stored as cd-audio tracks on the cd.

Reply 7 of 12, by bgbennyboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

MI cd version has an entirely new interpreter and different resource files to the disk version, a normal copy of mi cd will never, ever ask for diskxx. If its asking for disk9 then it cant be the cd version.
If kilroyj does have files up to disk08.lec then it isnt the cd version. The cd version has monkey.000 and monkey.001 type resource files.

Reply 8 of 12, by Unregistered

User metadata

have u tried scummvm? it's basically the scumm interpreter (used in monkey island 1 and 2) but modified to work in windows. accoridng to the compatability page monkey island 1 and 2 should be playable to the end. I used this program to get fate of atlantis and day of the tentacle to work in win2k coz vdms doesnt seem to cut it on those 2 😜

check it out:
http://scummvm.sourceforge.net/