VOGONS

First post, by Andyism

User metadata

Pardon my lack of information regarding my computer as it might not be necessary. But please allow me to explain my case;

Nanpa2 is my all time favourite game which I had no trouble replaying until recently as I realized XP doesn't work with previous DOS games. So I download both VDMSOUND & DOSBOX. And both gave me equally detrimental problems in enjoying the game.

VDMSOUND: Text is legible but sound is not present regardless of the different settings nor applying settings that works with other games.
(Music is one of the strong point of the game so playing without reliefs many funs from the game.)

DOSBOX: Sound is almost perfect but text is not legible making the highly text based game unplayable despite various video settings.

I have decided to invest my time on getting VDMSOUND to produce sounds and have hence gone through 2 years of post in this thread that might be of reference but to no avail. Therefore I seek help of those that might have successfully overcomed this problem with VDMSOUND. I would be equally glad if an alternative working program can be referred.

I sincerely hope that there is a solution which someone could advise me on and I appeal to all whom could help, to contact me at (andyism@bluebottle.com).

Thank you.

Reply 3 of 13, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You said in your post you were having troubles displaying text under DOSBox. Did you try changing output (render) modes? How did you configure it?

PS - Before anyone jumps in and flame me, yes, I DO KNOW THIS IS A VDMSOUND THREAD. 😎

Reply 4 of 13, by Guest

User metadata

eL_PuSHeR: Hi. I've tried all the different rendering modes in DOSBOX. But the problem still persist. When in DOSBOX, certain chinese characters will be missing from the whole sentence. So to a certain extend, DOSBOX works very well producing sound and text for NANPA2. Except that when certain chinese characters are missing, you can hardly understand nor play the game. I believe it's an issue which cant be solved so easily. Perhaps a compatibility issue so I've plainly given up on DOSBOX.

So the situation is still as it is.. VDMSOUND, perfect text reproduction. But NO sound. I welcome all those who could be of assistance to post~ Thanks

Reply 7 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You said chinese characters?

AFAIK, DosBox is only English isn't it? I doubt it supports the chinese codepage.

Can you repost your picture using .GIF, .PNG, or .JPG?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 13, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

DOSBOX developers are from the Europe and the North America, so they have no experience with Chinese (they cannot read Chinese anyway)...
Maybe somebody from China (or Taiwan) could look into this and submit a patch. I have heard that recently the number of people in China reached 1.3 bilions so I think it should not be so difficult to find someone. 😀

Mirek

Reply 10 of 13, by Guest

User metadata

this is the pic about that.

fine ,i will find some other way to deal with the problem.thanks for reply.

Attachments

• Filename
    image001.jpg
    File size
    64.99 KiB
    Downloads
    416 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    image002.jpg
    File size
    143.2 KiB
    Downloads
    494 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well those images from dosbox don't indicate a real fontpage being loaded.
they probably uploaded their own font somehow.

the next version of dosbox might have fontpages support though so if that is really the problem....

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 13 of 13, by wangbao

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i got the same problem ,so i found this forum, but...

你解决了没有???多多交流,我的QQ 87411799
我的也是用 DOSBOX玩有音乐,文字不全,用VDMSound有文字无音乐,搞笑......