VOGONS

GM/GS vs. MT-32/LAPC-1

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 45, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Certainly I can, but that's all the information that's IN the SynthMT soundbank.

SoundFont Bank
Sample Section
User Sample Pool
castanets
synbasslphi
ROM Sample Pool
kpianob1
kpianog2
kpianob4
kpianocx4
kpianof5
kpianodx5
kpiano5 #02
kpianob5
epiano2ms
clavc2
harpsichordc3
asaxc2
asaxe2
asaxg2
asaxd3
asaxf3
asaxc4
ssaxdx4
oboecx3
oboefx3
oboeax3
enghorndx3
frenchhorng4
bassoonc2
flutec4
clarinetd2
clarinetb2
brasssectc3
brasssectf5
htrumpetg2
htrumpetc3
htrumpetf3

Blah blah blah, et cetera et cetera. If this is more information than your program gives you, I'll finish it, but it sounds like it's not, which makes this a waste of my time.
Let me know.

And actually, it looks like those are GM/GS names. Everything in this file is even shorter -- piano1_MT32, epiano1_MT32, honkytonk_MT32, fantasy_MT32, etc.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 21 of 45, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't look at the instrument names, they don't say much. And mapping to GS as opposed to GM won't do much good, the problem is not there (it's either in the percussion, which is not necessarily well mapped by VDMSound, ch.9, or in custom sounds which can't be done with any mapping).

V.

dnewhous wrote:
Could you make a list in a text file of all the sounds in the synthmt bank? I'm hoping to see helpfully descriptive names. […]
Show full quote

Could you make a list in a text file of all the sounds in the synthmt bank? I'm hoping to see helpfully descriptive names.

The MIDI software that comes with the Santa Cruz (Digital Orchestrator) has a list of all the sounds in an MT-32 bank, but they're mostly cryptic things like "Elec Piano 1" "Elec Piano 2" that make a GS/MT-32 mapping somewhat ambiguous. And it looks like a map to GS would offer significant advantages. After getting through the first 23 MT-32 sounds I see that GS would offer about 6 sounds that would be lost in GM.

What GS does is extend each of the 128 MIDI banks, offering variable sounds within each bank. Sometimes these sound groupings are quite artificial.

I can see how it would be useful in that if you write a GS midi file it would still run on a GM bank, but some of the sound mappings would be way off.

And the one sound that is not contained in GS anywhere is "waterbells" (GS does have castanets).

I looked it up on google and there really is such thing as waterbells.

Reply 22 of 45, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Shifting gears a little bit, would a MIDI daughtercard (which they don't make anymore) be able to support all the functionality of the DLS2 specification?

I am considering whether it is worth trying to find one. My sound card doesn't support DLS2, but I don't want to buy a daughtercard if it isn't usable for the next generation of MIDI. And then there's the question if the next card from TB will even have a WaveBlaster connection.

I am assuming that a daughtercard has improved sound quality over a software bank in even considering one.

Unfortunately, no daughtercard has the "waterbell" sound.

Reply 23 of 45, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dnewhous wrote:

Shifting gears a little bit, would a MIDI daughtercard (which they don't make anymore) be able to support all the functionality of the DLS2 specification?

Microsoft's soft-synth (DirectMusic, Win2k & XP) supposedly is DLS2-compliant. You can even find Roland's DLS GS bank somewhere in the Windows directory, so I guess that in order to use your own you could rename that one and replace it by your own (otherwise you'd have to write your own app to tell DirectMusic to switch banks). Microsoft DirectMusic producer can be found on the web for free -- it can author DLS2 IIRC (and interface with DirectMusic in general).

V.

Reply 24 of 45, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vladr wrote:

Microsoft's soft-synth (DirectMusic, Win2k & XP) supposedly is DLS2-compliant. You can even find Roland's DLS GS bank somewhere in the Windows directory, so I guess that in order to use your own you could rename that one and replace it by your own (otherwise you'd have to write your own app to tell DirectMusic to switch banks). Microsoft DirectMusic producer can be found on the web for free -- it can author DLS2 IIRC (and interface with DirectMusic in general).

V.

I know about the GS bank in the Windows directory, what do you think I've been talking about this entire thread?!

I need to back up, what does DLS2 offer that DLS1 does not?

Reply 25 of 45, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Whoa. I only mentioned the soft-synth because, for some reason, you appeared to be looking for a hardware DLS2-compliant solution when there is a software one available.

As for the difference, DLS2 allows more fexibility (more envelope stages, more LFO's, etc.) Go on the MMA's site where you'll find the full DLS1 specs (.pdf) that you can then compare against bits and pieces of DLS2 infromation from the DLS2 .h file (that describes the sysex'es that you can actually send to a DLS2-compliant synth).

V.

dnewhous wrote:

I know about the GS bank in the Windows directory, what do you think I've been talking about this entire thread?!

I need to back up, what does DLS2 offer that DLS1 does not?

Reply 28 of 45, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote:

Yeah, the LAPC-1.

dnewhous, the only, or at least most visible (audible?) improvement you may get in hardware as opposed to software would be the reverb. But there are other ways of dealing with that without having to find a daughter-card. 😀 And yes, LAPC-1 is essentialy an MT-32 on an ISA board. I bought one about an year ago. I also purchased a SoundCanvas board at that time, and cvompared it to the Microsoft GS SoftSynth. Didn't notice a particularly "noticeable" difference (other than reverb, and maybe some different volume settings here and there), which is not so surprising given that both the SCC and the MS DLS were made by Roland. 😀

I think you may find on the MMA site a list of manufacturers that support DLS2, though I'm afraid not many (if any) produce daughterboards. Many manufacturers are going "soft" anyway (e.g. Yamaha).

Cheers,
V.

Reply 31 of 45, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Someone mentioned the award winning sound of Space Quest III. Those of you who haven't seen it

http://www.queststudios.com/quest/sierrap1.html#MainMenu

There is a download for Space Quest III SysEx.

Reply 32 of 45, by Digmortal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Umm... If you guys still need the 2.0 version of the MT-32 soundfont bank... here it is. Works great for me 😀

Enjoy!?
Digimortal

Attachments

• Filename
    mt-32.zip
    File size
    40.64 KiB
    Downloads
    172 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 33 of 45, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"The ROM samples used in your SoundFont bank are not compatible with those on your selected sound card. Playback of ROM samples will be disabled."

I could convert the SoundFont myself, BTW.

Can't you extract the ROM samples to RAW/WAV and then re-import them in Vienna, hopefully fixing the problem?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 34 of 45, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vladr wrote:

dnewhous, the only, or at least most visible (audible?) improvement you may get in hardware as opposed to software would be the reverb. But there are other ways of dealing with that without having to find a daughter-card. 😀 And yes, LAPC-1 is essentialy an MT-32 on an ISA board. I bought one about an year ago. I also purchased a SoundCanvas board at that time, and cvompared it to the Microsoft GS SoftSynth. Didn't notice a particularly "noticeable" difference (other than reverb, and maybe some different volume settings here and there), which is not so surprising given that both the SCC and the MS DLS were made by Roland. 😀

Cheers,
V.

Would you say that the MIDI synth on a Live/Aduigy with the 8MB soundfont sounds better than a daughtercard or the SCC-1? Cause it certainly sounds better than the GS softsynth to me but it surprises me that an old midi card wouldn't sound any better than the mediocre GS softsynth.

Reply 35 of 45, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Soundfonts make all the difference. The 8MB soundfont is pretty good. Fluid soundfont is the best, but you need to use SBDyn! in order to get it loaded on Live/Audigy cards.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 37 of 45, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How many instrument patches and how many drum kits does synthgm.sbk have? (Note that is "gm", not "mt")

In particular, did it have a "castanets" patch or a "castanets" sound in any of the drum kits?

I am trying to decide which castanets sound to use in my default MT-32 soundfont (which I have constructed with the trial version of Awave Studio).

Note: I have an SB Live! Value OEM and I cannot install Vienna.

Last edited by dnewhous on 2003-03-26, 06:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 38 of 45, by psz01

User metadata

http://www.soundsite.net

They have soundfonts in the HUNDREDS of megabytes. Some of them QUITE nice. Using the latest Live! 5.1 drivers, I have a 63MB custom soundfont loaded with no third party software, and it sounds great.

As for an MT-32 soundfont, one of the Monkey Islands had one that was close to 50MB at one point. The guy who made it (and the site) pulled it due to "compatibility issues" with alot of games. IE: It just didn't sound RIGHT. He said he wouldn't put it back as you "just can't emulate the full features of an MT-32 in a soundfont". He also pointed out that a good soundfont will almost ALWAYS have better individual sounds than an MT-32, which is a bit synthy.

Fluid rocks, BTW... I used bits of it in my custom sound font :->