VOGONS

Jerky motion

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 41 of 54, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Snover needs to stop toking....

WEED Iz BAD, MAN! It Killz BRAYN CELLZ!
http://www.marijuana.com/

But seriously, Nicht referred that link to that German site that mentions MoSlo and TPPATCH. And as we've said before, if you use CTBPPAT, you shouldn't need MoSlo as CTBPPAT should work on up to 4Ghz machines...

*fears what will happen when the 4Ghz processors come out*

So, dyinginformant, use CTBPPAT on all of the Jazz Jackrabbit 1 executables. It should work fine, but note that it may slow gameplay a little. Read the manual for CTBPPAT to be apprised of the technical issues that may pop up.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 42 of 54, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wait a minute, why does it SLOW gameplay? Shouldn't it slow it down to the point that it works perfectly (haven't tried to run Jazz yet so don't know if it runs insanely fast on a 1.6 GHZ)

I apologize. Sometimes I ask first and try things later. But this is because I want answers straight from the horse's mouth, so that I don't f up my PC. Because I was a little concerned when I tried to run Duke 3D and the screen turned off.

I rather be safe than sorry. That's all. Thanks for the help. Do you recommend that I first try TPPATCH and if it doesn't work for me THEN I try CTBPPAT? ( there's no excuse for slow gameplay on a 1.6GHz)

Reply 43 of 54, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know what he's talking about. Maybe he's toking it up, too. It shouldn't make it run any slower. It might, but it shouldn't. That said, Epic games have issues... for example, Epic Pinball WON'T run at the proper speed on my computer, even though it's 10x faster than what it was designed for.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 44 of 54, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dyinginformant wrote:

Wait a minute, why does it SLOW gameplay? Shouldn't it slow it down to the point that it works perfectly (haven't tried to run Jazz yet so don't know if it runs insanely fast on a 1.6 GHZ)

Alright, here's the deal as I understand it. Perhaps I'm wrong.
1. Jazz is written in Borland Pascal.
2. Jazz was compiled with an old version of the Borland libraries. Its DELAY function breaks on fast PCs because it runs too fast.
3. ctbppat patches this. Think of the DELAY function as "Do this, then wait x amount of time" where x is unfortunately hard-coded, and not dynamic. ctbppat fixes this by either a. maxing out x as high as the variable allows, making DELAY explode but still allowing the program to execute or b. a different DELAY function that still may work on 4Ghz and under PCs. ctbppat doesn't care what the effects are, it just looks at the executable and does it.

So, ctbppat will run but will actually end up SLOWING gameplay slower than what it would actually be if the game was not patched, as it's monkeying with that DELAY function. But there's no other way to run the game without patching it, other than using a slowdown utility like Moslo or Turbo. And we generally want to avoid having to do that. See?

I apologize. Sometimes I ask first and try things later. But this is because I want answers straight from the horse's mouth, so that I don't f up my PC. Because I was a little concerned when I tried to run Duke 3D and the screen turned off.

Aha... I see. You shouldn't worry too much about that.

I rather be safe than sorry. That's all. Thanks for the help. Do you recommend that I first try TPPATCH and if it doesn't work for me THEN I try CTBPPAT? (there's no excuse for slow gameplay on a 1.6GHz)

Sure, you could do that. It just doesn't work in all cases because its DELAY function detector only works in some cases, not in ALL cases like ctbppat. (for example, it didn't work with Tyrian.) But yeah, you could do that. Just don't forget to make backups of the executables before patching them.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 45 of 54, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is probably obvious, but this probably means I have to do a FULL install so that the .exe is on my hard drive to be patched. I can't do a partial install, which I just did, and I noticed the .exe file is not included.

And this permanently patches the exe file right? I don't have to do it everytime I want to play Jazz. It's "ctbppat (filename.ext) /mon" right?

AHHH! 😮 User friendly? Umm, after I type the above, a lot of weird stuff is on screen and many options. So I choose patch, and then it looks like it's waiting for more from me! What next? Help!

Last edited by dyinginformant on 2002-10-02, 06:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 49 of 54, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dyinginformant wrote:

Well, okay, but what do I do? After I choose PATCH, what's next? I kind of backed out of it because I didn't know what to do.

For Jazz JackRabbit:
If using CTBPPAT.EXE:
Type "CTBPPAT.EXE JAZZ.EXE", it come back with the something like the following:
JAZZ.EXE 227.328 10.08.94 18:56:10 NE DPMI 16STUB Bor
Original DPMI-CRT, No Call to Delay function detected, Divisor at 0054: 55
Overflow on Pentium II/III/Athlon will occur with 266 MHz, K6-2: 525 MHz
Because Delay function seems not to be used, it is advised
to patch the divisor to 65535 (works on PIII up to 300 GHz)!
now patch program: Divisor:55 =>65535 ok? (q/y/n) or o)ther divisor:

It's asking you if you want to patch the program: q=quit, y=yes, n=no (kind of useless here),o=other (use a # other than the example given). Type "Y" and hit ENTER.

Now it will say something like:
ok, patched File was stored as: D:\DESKTOP\JAZZ\JAZZ.EX$
Now overwrite old .exe with .ex$ ? (q/y/n or m)onitor .ex$)

What they've done is create a copy of JAZZ.EXE with the name of JAZZ.EX$ and they're asking for permission to replace the original.
So long as you have a copy of this somewhere, say yes.

Should come back with something like:
00000E3E NE-EXE with Extended Header
, then give you back the command prompt.
-------------------------------------------
If you use TPPATCH.EXE, it will come back with a German message and it's done. CTBPPAT is better as it will handle future processors up to 300GHz.

Reply 50 of 54, by dyinginformant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll have to reinstall it and try it again (and you warned me to make a backup of the .exe file...) It seems when I tried to use the patch and didn't know what to choose, I did something to the exe file and I can't fix it now.

Ofcourse, I had gotten different directions than what you said. Because I typed CTBPPAT Jazz.exe /mon or something like that. What I read on the page where the desciption of this patch is in a topic. Anyway, so I will try it again and let you know.

Still confusing though.

Reply 51 of 54, by Unregistered

User metadata

I tppatched Jazz and the game runs great now, without VDM! Actually with VDM it doesn't work at all. When i use VDM the keyboard does not work, neither does the sound. When I don't use VDM, it works but the music and sound is too slow...I tryded speedset but the game would not run with it, suggestions anyone?

Reply 52 of 54, by edelbeb

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If VDMSound set to IRQ 5, which is the one used used by Windows XP legacy sound support, VDM won't work. (I'm always suprised when the legacy sound support works, but sometimes it does.) Set VDMS, and the in-game sound setting to IRQ 7, if you want to use VDMS. In either event, try lowering the in-game sound quality setting to improve music playback speed.