VOGONS

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

Hi guys.

When playing a game ( SQ5- Sierra,The DIG - lucasarts ), or running Impulse Tracker by Jeffrey Lim, after a few seconds the sound gets all ugly on me, alot of feedback through the speakers accompanied by very slow often jerky games, very unfriendly issue this one. I have the same problem on most other dos games and programs.

Is this an incompatibility between the Athlon XP with Gigabyte GA7DXE mainboard, and Windows XP when running VDMS?

I had a an intel PIII based system before and never had a days problems with VDMS, Its a GREAT application.

I appreciate any support.
Later dudes.

Clinton.
South Africa

Last edited by Unregistered on 2002-07-22, 12:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 1, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In the VDMS Launchpad (you do have the VDMS Launchpad and the VDMSound update, right?) there are two things you can do.

One is to change the buffer size for the SoundBlaster. (Do this in the SoundBlaster tab of the control panel.) The second is to reduce the DMA polling period to 2/5, or, if you're feeling adventurous, 1/3 (that's min/max). I've also got an Athlon XP 1800+ and haven't experience any of these problems, so it may be any multiple of things. (Sound card, XP not W2K, different mainboard, even things that don't seem related like video cards...) Anyway, try what I've suggested out. (There have been several people with this problem before, so don't feel like you're the only one 😉)

Yes, it’s my fault.