VOGONS

star trek a final unity sound problem

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by bushwakko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the sound in the game is VERY choppy! If i use sb16 it chops a LOT, and a little less with pro, and nearly nothing with sb8. buffers doesn't seem to help. and the video fast forwards something with the sound, seems like they're synced and the sound is weird and choppy. MAY be the other way around tho'. any ideas?

Reply 3 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow. I saw VDMSound and Star Trek and immediately though of the 25th Anniversary edition. Doh!

Sorry.

Well, it looks like your using VDMSound and you've already modified the buffers. Have you tried XP's emulated sound? Also try creating an image of the CD and pointing the game to that.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 17, by bushwakko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'm using a image and daemon tools now, it works like a charm, however the sound is still buggy, and the game just quits on me when i do certain actions...

i've found that the sound get better the older sb i use. sb8 is best, sb16 is stupid. the game kinda accelerates and decellerates a little all the time.

is too fast, is ok, is to fast, is ok, too fast......

Reply 5 of 17, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very likely that the game and Windows' timer emulation are kicking each other in the butt when SB16 is enabled. SB16 and Pro's can use auto-init DMA, plain SB didn't support it, some maybe the use/no use of this feature triggers certain timing issues in the game. Is there a "buffer size" option in the game somehwere for SB16?

V.

Reply 6 of 17, by bushwakko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i haven't seen any sb16 buffersize inside the game, however there is a sync problem while in sb8-mode too. the game fasts on and slows down, and the sound is still a little scratchy, however not as much as in sb16-mode. the game exits all the time too, that's the biggest problem, i can play with the sb8-sound, however i need the game to be stable.

Reply 7 of 17, by bushwakko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ahh, just remembered, this is how my sound sounded in indyana jones and dott and such with low in-game buffers. the sound was stuttery and ugly. if someone could find a way to increase the ingame buffer of this game it should work.

the game stopped hangig when i chose soundblaster 1.0 in game (least annoying sound) AND when i chose the same with the vdms loader. 😀

Reply 9 of 17, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If setting buffer to 0 in VDMSound solved the pronlem then the explanation is simple: crappy audio drivers. 😀 You can also try to switch between WaveOut and DirectSound (but with buffer set to 75ms when using WaveOut), and/or try on another computer with a different soundcard/soundcard drivers.

V.

Reply 11 of 17, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The reason why I said that it may be a souncard driver thing is that the size of the buffer has virtually no effect on the emulation (other than small variation on the DMA period). Altering min/maxDMAPeriod may also produce some difference, but I'd be very curious if you observe a difference beween DirectSound and WaveOut in VDMSound.

V.

Reply 12 of 17, by Unregistered

User metadata

To the original poster: how were you able to get around the "not enough buffers" error in the installation check routine. I added buffers=20 to config.nt which didn't work but then I read in the online help that buffers is actually not supported by the W2K DOS enviroment (whereas eg. "files=... " is supported and therefore works and is detected properly by the program)
Ntcompatible, while certainly not the most reliable source states the same and lists it as unplayable so I am surprised to see so many people have gotten it to play. Are there different versions with different installers maybe?

Reply 14 of 17, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bushwakko wrote:

i was under the impression most people got this error, and it doesn't work very well with sb16 with buffers 0 either. it's a via ac'97 thingy.

OUCH! Get a new card, as soon as you can afford it...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 15 of 17, by Unregistered

User metadata

I am having the same problem with this Star Trek game with one exception. When I run the game without VDMSound, the sound is really choppy and sometimes difficult to understand (large gaps between words). However, when I use the right click menu to start the game under VDMSound, I get no sound. In fact, I can only get the game to start up with the company logo and no further.

I'm a sound card newbie so a lot of the earlier thread line didn't give me much insight on what I could be doing wrong. I'm using the program on Windows XP. Any help would be appreciated.

T.

Reply 17 of 17, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since you have XP, to use VDMSound at it's fullest, this is the recommended install procedure:

Install Vlad's VDMSound program.
VDMSound v2.04 at http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vd...load/index.html

After installation is completed, copy the files from the 2.04 Update zipfile at http://vdmsound.sourceforge.net/files/ on top of the original files (wherever you installed them, the default for this is
C:\Program Files\VDMSound\).

Then download and install the GUI Launcher VDMSLaunchPad.v1.0.0.7, also at : http://vdmsound.sourceforge.net/files/

If the program locks when you try the "Run with VDMS" that has a little musical note by it, try the "Run with VDMS" that does NOT the little musical note.