VOGONS

Strife

Topic actions

First post, by Dijeeh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Of all games i managed to get working, pretty much every game i tired.

Strife, fails to work.

I get sound, but whenever it plays the game goes choppy, a few FPS maybe.

done cli2nop, and all that on it

Still no go.

Reply 1 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dijeeh wrote:

Of all games i managed to get working, pretty much every game i tired.

Someone notify HomerJ, Dijeeh has joined the "great conspiracy". *wink*

Strife, fails to work.

STRIFE is a DOOM engine game and has similar issues to DOOM (and BUILD games). Primarily, the problem is a FixPOPF bug. But, to be sure, we need clarification. If you set audio to "No Music" and "No Sound FX", does it work properly (video, movement, etc...)?

If it does work, try XP's built-in emulation: choose SoundBlaster
for "Sound FX"; Address 220, IRQ 5, DMA 1, # of sound FX to mix=4 (or less). Leave music set at no music for now. Do you get sound?

If so, try with VDMSound (make sure you change the IRQ to 7). There's a bug in the most up-to-date VDMSound with Update 1 and the GUI launchpad installed. Once, you've changed the IRQ to 7, right-click on STRIFE1.EXE and choose the "Run with VDMS" that DOES NOT have the musical note.

I get sound, but whenever it plays the game goes choppy, a few FPS maybe.

This could be due to too many sounds mixing at the same time....your drivers...your sound card's limitations....possibly your CPU.

To save time, you should place your computer specs in your profile so people don't have to ask what they are repeatedly. All I know right now is that you're running XP.

done cli2nop, and all that on it

If you're running XP you should not need to use Cli2Nop at all. There's a work-around built into the OS, so you don't need to hack your game's executables to get them to run in XP (it's a nice hack...but it's still a hack....with it's own share of side effects).

This also holds true for all BUILD games, Death Rally, etc...

Be aware that while I've gotten STRIFE to run in XP, it's never run really smoothly. Unlike other DOOM-engine games, unfortunately, there is no source-port for this game. The closest thing right now is the Vavoom DOOM source-port. The programmer is trying to find a way to get STRIFE to run within his engine. Apparently, all you can do for the moment is walk around the maps. He has said he will continue to try and make further improvements.

http://www.vavoom-engine.com/index_e.html

You can search his forum with the word strife (and give it about 365 days range) to see the history on this.

For right now, STRIFE is one of the reasons I set up a dual-boot with Win98.

Reply 3 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Dijeeh ...by the way, i need to use cli2nop anyway!!! without it, nothing works.

BING! BING! BING! Red Flags go flying up everywhere...that should NOT be the case.

Make sure you don't have some hardware monitoring tool that uses GIVEIO.SYS or something similar running on your PC.

Reply 4 of 6, by Dijeeh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No no ,i have nothing like that running.

Everything should be AOK from where i see it.

Butwithout CLI2NOP i can't get sound 😒

Anyway,
i can't edit my profile because im noth authorized, or not logged in (which i am )

Frustrating 🙁

Reply 5 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dijeeh wrote:

Everything should be AOK from where i see it.

Butwithout CLI2NOP i can't get sound

That's my point. If you're having to use Cli2Nop, then something IS wrong.

Try this, head on over to http://www.champ-em.com/ and grab "Champ Kong" or one of the other titles there. They set themselves up automatically (no dealing with IRQs, DMA, etc...).
Start it up with or without VDMSound, you should hear audio from the game either way. If you don't, then almost certainly there's something hosed in your OS. (Note: when you see the "Initializing Sound Card" message, give it time to find the card...some times that can take up to 30 seconds).

i can't edit my profile because im noth authorized, or not logged in (which i am )

Make sure you're not blocking "cookies". If so, you'll constantly get kicked off.

Reply 6 of 6, by Patti

User metadata

Oh my god!

I worked on Strife and played it pretty much nonstop for about three months as we were about to release it. When I discovered DOSBox, it's the first thing that I tried.

It's crashing for me periodically with Bad R_RenderWallRange errors. 🙁 The sound is great though. Win2K P4 2.8ghz, unremarkable sound and video cards.

-Patti
(read the credits if you have them... I was the QA manager.)