VOGONS

First post, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Poll: Should the SpaceOrb be supported on NT-based OSes running Descent I or II?

• 1 vote (25%) 1 vote (25%)
  • No votes No votes
  • 3 votes (75%) 3 votes (75%)
  • No votes No votes

EDIT: I have noticed by my poll that most of you haven't a clue what I'm talking about. It's a 6DOF controller with an orb & 6 buttons. You manipulate the orb as if it were your player object-this makes it perfect for a game like Descent! The DII demo was packaged with it for good reason, after all.

Having used my SpaceOrb on my legacy PC & adjusting to it, I can't go back(chording is simply natural using it). The problem is, apparently I can't find a working glide2x.ovl for my V2 1000-equipped legacy PC, so I'm stuck with GliDOS on the family PC if I want DII to look decent.

That family PC also runs Windows XP, therefore requiring the HIDSporb drivers. Those aren't compatible with the original Spacetec .scg files-they only allow DirectInput support, so you can forget about DOS input.

Unlike most game controllers, which use either the DB-15 gameport or USB, the SpaceOrb is a serial device(likely due to its development in an age where the gameport wasn't satisfactory & USB either didn't exist or was in its infancy). While that problably shouldn't hinder you as far as detecting the Orb if you use DirectInput, I don't know how DOS games used the device.(About all I do know is that the Spacetec drivers will set a Build-engine game controller setup to "Keyboard and External".)

Think you can do it?

Last edited by NamelessPlayer on 2005-05-25, 02:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 2, by FingerSoup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For original Voodoo Drivers, try here:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=11

Voodoo2 Reference drivers for your "Legacy PC" should be there. they should come with everything you need to run Glide games with a real Voodoo2. Give'em a shot. might make your problem a non-issue for you...

Reply 2 of 2, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've tried some refs from there, as well as some refs I got from either FalconFly or 3dfxzone & FastVoodoo. Carmageddon just quits-DII just sits at the"memory availible" screen, by which point you should be playing already. I don't know what's wrong, but it's annoying to have a game that isn't using the system to its fullest!

EDIT: Now that I have my Definitive Collection, I started from scratch, installing the W95 version on my legacy PC. Instead of hanging there this time around, it just stops. Same with Carmageddon. I remember even putting the drivers in the same folder! I don't know what's wrong, but while I've figured out that you need to hit Space & NOT Enter to change checkbox or radio-button options in Descent I or II, it runs kinda choppy at 640x480 software(though playable).