VOGONS

First post, by Ludomeister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've scanned the messages relating to Cavewars and VDMSound, and have not found a solution yet. Ah, but hope springs eternal ...

At any rate, I got Cavewars to run by using NOLFB, but when I start up the game right after the Avalon Hill splash screen the next one, which should show a splash screen for the developers (Broken Arrow Entertainment), shows a black-and-white version of the "Avalon" of the previous splash, and but a portion of the ball that contains the Broken Arrow logo. Then I get the Cavewars Start/Continue/Restore/Options/Quit screen, but the sword, rifle and Broken Sword logo don't spin, and, more importantly, the mouse cursor not only moves slowly but creates a "wake" in its path ... as if it is cutting a layer of pixels off the top of the screen.

I thought that adding mouse2kv to the command might help, but it hasn't. I tried turning on and off virtually all of the options in the VDM shortcut properties (i.e. Vesa support on/off, Low level CD rom support on/off, etc.), but nothing seems to help.

Here's the .bat file I created to start up the program within VDMSound:

@echo off
C:\Cavewars\nolfb.com
C:\Cavewars\mouse2kv 640 480 8 8
C:\Cavewars\dos4gw.exe cavehigh.exe

My specs are:

WinXP Pro service pack 2
Pentium 4 2.00GHz
768 MB RAM
VisionTek Xtasy 9200 video card (i.e Radeon 9200 with 256 MB RAM)

The above combo works just fine for most of my other later-era DOS games (Cavewars came out in 1997, one of the very last years of DOS game support), including System Shock 1, which I got to work just fine with this rig.

Any thoughts or ideas as to what I might add/subtract to get this game going?

Reply 1 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could it be that it's just really slow and buggy without linear framebuffer support?

Have you tried installing this patch? http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/patdl.cgi?lang=eng&sys … le=cave1_11.zip

Reply 2 of 10, by Ludomeister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, my copy of Cavewars is patched to a later (the final) patch version: 1.20. You can get this patch here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/downloads

Actually, I should have said that I got the game in this patch state to run just fine in DosBox 0.63, so I know it's not the game per se. Of course, you might want to know at this point why I'm fiddling around with VDMSound when the game runs fine in DosBox!

Well, the answer is that I find that sometimes with later DOS games (especially protected mode games), that DosBox, while it runs the games actually has frame rate problems. Even modifying with frameskip etc. doesn't do the trick. That's why I always use VDMSound for System Shock 1 rather than DosBox. Both applications run SS1, but VDMSound does not suffer the frame rate hits that DosBox does.

Reply 3 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With a 2GHz processor, it's totally reasonable to choose VDMSound over DOSBox for late DOS-era games, as they tend to be taxing on all the hardware and use a lot of tricks as well.

Personally, I've decided to go back and enjoy the older games that run perfectly in DOSBox on my Athlon XP 3200+. I've got way more games than I could ever playin 10 lifetimes, so restricting myself to older DOS games (early 90s and older for the most part) helps narrow things down a bit 😀

Oh, if it's a protected-mode game, you might want to look into using DOS32A if the game uses a DOS extender that DOS32A is able to replace.

Reply 4 of 10, by Ludomeister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got way more games than I could ever play in 10 lifetimes, so restricting myself to older DOS games (early 90s and older for the most part) helps narrow things down a bit

😁 Hah! Me too! And I keep adding to the collection week after week thinking that - someday - I'll get to it. There are just so many tempting choices in the bargain bins nowadays, as the consoles slowly but surely do to PC games what the PC itself did to Mac games: reduce the shelf space to less and less until *poof* there isn't any space anymore.

That said, I find myself drawn over and over to games from the early to mid 1990's: an era I consider the apogee of computer game design (just before the real-time craze hit and 1st person shooters took off on a vertical ascent). Games like 1830, Master of Orion, Master of Magic, Civ II, XCOM: UFO, etc. etc. I've tried all sorts of computer games in every genre you can think of, and I keep going back to the old fav's time after time!

To keep things back on topic, what is DOS32A? Is this another emulator program?

Reply 5 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Ludomeister wrote:

To keep things back on topic, what is DOS32A? Is this another emulator program?

It is another name for the search function.....

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 10, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ludomeister wrote:
Here's the .bat file I created to start up the program within VDMSound: […]
Show full quote

Here's the .bat file I created to start up the program within VDMSound:

@echo off
C:\Cavewars\mouse2kv 640 480 8 8
C:\Cavewars\dos4gw.exe cavehigh.exe

Any thoughts or ideas as to what I might add/subtract to get this game going?

You might change your batch file as follows:

@echo off
C:\Cavewars\mouse2kv 640 480 8 8 dos4gw.exe cavehigh.exe

The Mouse2KV.exe file is NOT a TSR, it functions a a co-resident loader which intercepts the Int 33h calls. Give the modified batch file a try...

Hope this helps,

dvwjr

Reply 9 of 10, by XGodeksX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I already had a similar problems with CaveWars but they have been solved by loading other version of game, creation of a .bat file and addition LEVELS.FDG (sorry for bad english).

1) I have loaded the version of the game from http://209.120.136.195/games/c/cavewars/files … avewars-fix.zip,
2) then have created a .bat file, as it have been described above (with nolfb.com & mouse2kv.exe, loaded from here: http://advsys.net/ken/nolfb.zip and download.php?id=229 )
3) and have added a file LEVELS.FDG (from 1.20 official patch http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/patches/cav … wars/cw_120.zip) in the DLGS directory, as it is described here: CaveWars crashes when starting new Random game

Only after these manipulations CaveWars was started normally under DosBox. All other versions of the game were started with some error.

Reply 10 of 10, by Ludomeister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, XGodeksX! I followed your steps and finally got results! The final icing on the cake was adding that levels.fdg file into the DLGS directory. Now all runs beautifully on DosBox 0.63, and I'm a happy camper! 😀

Cheers,

Ludo