VOGONS

Error 1904:

Topic actions

First post, by Unregistered

User metadata

I keep getting these errors when installing:

error 1904: (component) failed to register

Component could be DiskWrite.dll, EmuMP401.dll, EmuSPCompat.dll, basically everything.

A search on Google proved fruitless.

Can anyone help? I have installed VDMS in the past with no problems. I am using Windows XP and version 2.0.4

alex@NOSPAM.summersun.tk

Reply 1 of 4, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did you delete/move where VDMSound is? That'll cause it to not work. 😄

In any case, try Add/Remove Programs > VDMSound and choose "Repair" --that fixes problems 90% of the time.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 4, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote:

Did you delete/move where VDMSound is? That'll cause it to not work. 😄

In any case, try Add/Remove Programs > VDMSound and choose "Repair" --that fixes problems 90% of the time.

Something is likely broken with your Windows. At this point the only alternative is to install VDMSound in C:\Program Files\VDMSound (default installation path), ignore all the errors, then manually add the registry entries that failed to load by opening the attachment in WinZip and then by double-clicking on each .reg file in the .zip.

NOTE: I don't have the .zip withme right now, I'll update this post tomorrow with the .zip and will erase this paragraph when the .zip is attached.

V.

Reply 3 of 4, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was going to say that it sounded like either a DLL-deleting virus or a corrupt registry. (Registry == double-plus-ungood. One corrupt file and your entire system is basically incapacitated. INI == good. One corrupt file and only one program is incapacitated.) Still, with Windows XP, that shouldn't be POSSIBLE without, well, a shitload of work. (From what I've heard, there are (supposed to be) lots of safeguards in XP to prevent just this.)

That said, I remember something similar to this happening on one of my old Windows 9x box (though the similarities are sketchy at best). I got errors every startup about all my files and directories (including executables) in C:\ being unable to execute. (Or maybe they weren't found. I can't remember...but it doesn't matter, especially since they were there.) In any case, one day, the errors suddenly stopped. (Then picked up again a few months later.) *shrug* Just felt like sharing that story. Probably koz it's 12:49, I've got a final tomorrow, and I'm not at all ready for it, but I'm not studying. (Summer school blows.)

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 4, by Unregistered

User metadata

Thanks. I'm just going to repair my XP setup, I think. I've been having trouble somwehere else, too.

(i.e. double-clicking or right-clicking on most objects in Explorer brings up two message boxes, I can't remember the exact text, something to do with dragging & dropping with a lot of double-colons.)

I'll be back later. (it would be easier if I registered)