VOGONS

VDMSound and Windows 98

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I know it isn't supposed to work, but my sound card has wdm drivers specifically made for Windows 98 and I wanted to see if this would allow VDMSound to work. But when I try to install VDMSound (I have installed the Windows Installer service) I am informed I can not install because I do not have NT/2k/XP. I believe the developers must have chosen to check for the operating system when they built the msi file for VDMSound.

My request is that they choose not to do that so I can try at my own risk to get VDMSound to work on '98.

Otherwise I may just learn how to cheat and use setver.exe

The problem is I don't know how to edit a bunch of hex # gibberish.

Reply 1 of 2, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

NO. VDMSound will not work in any of the Windows 9x family. NT and its sucessors use different methods for most functions. While I'm not well-versed in the VDMSound code, I am reasonably certain that there is NO WAY it will work in Windows 9x. The methods used are incompatible with Windows 9x, simply due to the different structure and the different calls used. There's a very good reason there's an OS check -- to prevent people from installing it on Windows 9x and then complaining that it doesn't work.

In any case, your sound card manufacturer most certainly provides DOS drivers, and there are fairly conclusive articles around the web that make the installation of these extremely simple.

In any case, this thread is not appropriate for the development forum. I've moved it to the VDMSound general forum.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 2, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dnewhous wrote:
I know it isn't supposed to work, but my sound card has wdm drivers specifically made for Windows 98 and I wanted to see if this […]
Show full quote

I know it isn't supposed to work, but my sound card has wdm drivers specifically made for Windows 98 and I wanted to see if this would allow VDMSound to work. But when I try to install VDMSound (I have installed the Windows Installer service) I am informed I can not install because I do not have NT/2k/XP. I believe the developers must have chosen to check for the operating system when they built the msi file for VDMSound.

My request is that they choose not to do that so I can try at my own risk to get VDMSound to work on '98.

Otherwise I may just learn how to cheat and use setver.exe

The problem is I don't know how to edit a bunch of hex # gibberish.

Attempting to run VDMSound on 9x/Me is like attempting to run Notepad on Linux. It won't work. NT/2k/XP has functionality (critical to the functionning of VDMSound) that does not exist in 9x/Me.

V.