VOGONS

First post, by Kanangea

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok there are 2 dos games 1 is blood (shareware) 1 is duke nukem 3d (full game) the music will work fine with vdm sound but this is what happens with the games when i try to get the sound working, on blood sound effects are address=0x220, current type= sound blaster 2.0, interrupt=7, 8-bit=1, 16 bit=5....then i click save setting and continue an error message comes up "sound blaster is not responding on selected port" and it resets the sound fx to none....so to get sound fx to stay on sound blaster i will just hit esc. (it seems to work)...and then i quit setup and click on blood, the screen comes up the it loads the game...at the first screen monolith (the people who made the game) the game freezes up so hit ctrl+esc to exit and close it

now for duke 3d....the settings are pretty much the same as blood the sound blaster error comes up again so i go into sound blaster options and hit escape, i quit setup launch duke3d the first dos window comes up its loading the game but then a message comes up "sound blaster is not responing on selected port" (the same message that is in setup) and then the dos window closes

so any ideas on how to get the sound working??? 😵

Reply 2 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You cannot played BUILD engine games (Blood/Shadow Warrior/Duke Nukem 3D) under Windows 2000 with sound. You can use a utility called CLI2NOP but this solution has never been stable for me.

For Shadow Warrior and Duke Nukem 3D go here: http://jonof.edgenetwork.org/ and download the ports for Shadow Warrior and Duke Nukem 3D.

For Blood your either going to have to upgrade to Windows XP/Use Real Dos/or Use Microsoft Virtual PC. (Blood would be too slow on your computer with DosBox so DosBox is out of the question).

Since you have a low amount of memory and such an old computer a dual-boot with MS-DOS would be your best solution for Blood.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline