VOGONS

mouseset

Topic actions

First post, by davepyne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sorry if this sounds kinda dumb, but how do you use mouseset? when i open it it just says:

"Incorrect number of arguments\n USAGE: MOUSESET xmax ymax program.exe\nwhere xmax would typically be 640 and ymax 480 (for 640x480)\n"

I'd really like to use mouseset to fix my mouse being stuck on the upper left part of the screen.

Reply 1 of 4, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Say that your game is called BLABLA.EXE

Then just make a file called BLABLA.BAT that reads:

mouseset 640 480 BLABLA.EXE

...and run BLABLA.BAT instead.

V.

Reply 2 of 4, by davepyne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, and the mouseset files go in the same directory as the game i want to run, right?

oh and btw, i don't know how to create a batch file, so I just took one I already had, and replaced the text it had in it with "mouseset 640 480 WAR2.EXE" is that ok to do, or do i have to create a new batch file?

and could i just add "mouseset 640 480 WAR2.EXE" to autoexec.bat instead? would that work too?

Reply 3 of 4, by davepyne

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hmm, i got mouseset running in my game, but my mouse is still stuck on te left 2/3 of the screen. Sorry, I said my mouse was in the upper left. actually its been stuck in the left side of the screen. it can go all the way up and down. I tried changing mouseset to 800 600 too, but the game still runs exactly the same. the game (its warcraft 2, by the way) says in the readme:

"If you are running in Windows NT and the mouse
is caged to the top left of the screen, set
the vidmouse=0 line in your WAR2.INI file to
vidmouse=2."

I did that even before using mouseset, but it didn't do a thing either. I'm using VDMS sound, which gets the sound and VESA working perfectly, but I hope that its not the culprit for my mouse problem. Unfortunately I'm unable to see if its the problem, because without VDMS' VESA support the game won't run at all. Do you have any suggestions? are there any other values for mouseset that would likely fix the problem? I appreciate your help
-Dave.

Reply 4 of 4, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*sigh*
Firstly, this is a VDMSound issue, not a general DOS game issue. This should have been posted to the VDMSound 'General' forum, not The Guide > DOS.

ok, and the mouseset files go in the same directory as the game i want to run, right?

It doesn't matter. If they aren't in the same directory as the batch file, you need to use the fully-qualified URI.

oh and btw, i don't know how to create a batch file, so I just took one I already had, and replaced the text it had in it with "mouseset 640 480 WAR2.EXE" is that ok to do, or do i have to create a new batch file?

...*cough*
batch files are just things that run commands, as if you were typing them at the command prompt.

and could i just add "mouseset 640 480 WAR2.EXE" to autoexec.bat instead? would that work too?

No. First of all, there is no AUTOEXEC.BAT in Windows NT/2K/XP. Secondly, if there WAS, and you put that in there, it would run every time you started your computer. Rather, it would attempt to run it, but unless mouseset and war2 were in a directory specified in the PATH environment variable it would fail.

my mouse is still stuck on te left 2/3 of the screen. Sorry, I said my mouse was in the upper left. actually its been stuck in the left side of the screen. it can go all the way up and down. I tried changing mouseset to 800 600 too, but the game still runs exactly the same. the game (its warcraft 2, by the way) says in the readme:

MOUSESET will not fix that problem. There is a reason the readme says 'upper left' as well.

Just get the Battle.net edition.

Yes, it’s my fault.