VOGONS

First post, by Derek Adam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All

Newcomer to this forum. Have just very very successfully installed VDMSound for WIN98se. The sound is great.
HOWEVER!! I run this program exclusively for a flight simulation program called PS13.

When initially loading this program I am asked if I have a Sound Blaster and it asked for DMA channel, IRQ number and base address. All is done very well and an initial sound is emitted to show that the sound blaster loaded properly.

Under normal circumstances this program goes on to ask if I want to use controls i.e. rudders,elevators etc.

However the program immediately loads without the controls being invoked.

Anybody got any solution.

Thanks
Derek

Reply 1 of 7, by Derek Adam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
Further to my previous note, and having spent some time studying the program etc, I have decided that I cannot have a joystick emulator built into the program.
What I use to run the program is an EPIC card. This is a programmable keyboard emulator, and therefore I think the joystck emulator in VDMSound is over riding the correct joystick channels.

Anyway these are my thoughts at the end of a frustrating day

Derek

Reply 2 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Derek Adam This is a programmable keyboard emulator, and therefore I think the joystck emulator in VDMSound is over riding the correct joystick channels.

I know precious little about Vlad's joystick input code (especially for Win9x), I'm not even sure it's actually active in Win9x.
However, presuming it is, loading up the VDMS.INI remarking out the joystick entries with double-semicolons should keep it from running.

Anyway these are my thoughts at the end of a frustrating day

It's an alpha, be glad it does anything in Win9x.

Reply 3 of 7, by Derek Adam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your response.

Vlad suggested originally that I should download the Beta version but I could not find it!

Yes the sound works perfectly under the alpha version. (Better in fact, than any fancy sound card!)

I have tried "remming out the joystick module and that works fine and I can use the program joysticks. However the sound is unintelligable!!

Back to the drawing boards.

Derek

Reply 4 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Derek Adam Vlad suggested originally that I should download the Beta version but I could not find it!

I think there's a little confusion on the whole alpha/beta thing. There are actually multple program items at different levels of development:

VDMSound 2.04 (with self-installer): Fully functional, No GUI, NT Only
VDMSound LaunchPad (installs from .BAT file) Beta (but stable one),Also for NT
VDMSound for Win9x (manual install) Alpha (very alpha)

Also, note that the Win9x part of the code wasn't actually coded by Vlad. This thing is new for all of us...

Yes the sound works perfectly under the alpha version. (Better in fact, than any fancy sound card!)

*heh* Actually, that's what your sound card is capable of...(it's still using your actual sound card), it's just that your DOS compatible code for it is probably terrible.

I have tried "remming out the joystick module and that works fine and I can use the program joysticks. However the sound is unintelligable!!

Back to the drawing boards.

Well that makes no sense to me, try checking this with Vlad. He might have an idea.

Reply 5 of 7, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi,

As long as the joystick is detected fine by Windows (e.g. calibrates OK in the Windows Control Panel) then VDMSound should also detect and use it. You can enable logging in VDMS.INI and see if/waht joystick is detected by VDMSound.

Cheers,
V.

Reply 6 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly:
The sound was great, but your controllers weren't working properly.

You remarked out the joystick section in the VDMS.INI file and your controller now works properly, but all audio is distorted.

Is that what you were saying?

Reply 7 of 7, by Derek Adam

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Guys
Thank you for your help.

Yes the problem was originally:- If I disabled the joystick module the sound was dreadfull, but my joysticks worked.

HOWEVER Reading through the documentation I discovered that you could emulate different sound blaster cards. Changing version to 1.05 (SB1) I have got everything to work Thank you thank you thank you.

VLad --- I sent you an e-mail earlier this morning re the problem -- please ignore

Thanks a lot guys I am a very happy man.

Derek