VOGONS

run DOSDRV in command prompt with low level networking

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by tiny_1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

when you right click a .vlp shortcut, you can activate low level networking in the compability tab, and then run vdmsound through the vlp file. But if i want to run it in the command prompt, and activate low level networking with a parameter or something, ex: DOSDRV -lowlevelnetworkOn
Is this possible? how can i start low level networking from the command prompt, or a .bat file that is?
anyone?

Reply 2 of 2, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tiny_1 wrote:

But if i want to run it in the command prompt, and activate low level networking with a parameter or something, ex: DOSDRV -lowlevelnetworkOn.

Is this possible? how can i start low level networking from the command prompt, or a .bat file that is?

anyone?

Easy enough mistake to make. Many people think that DOSDRV is the command-line version of LauchPad, which creates and uses the *.VLP files. It is not. When the 'low-level networking' checkbox in LaunchPad is ticked - the following temporary "AUTOEXEC.NT" style file is created:

@ECHO OFF
LH %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\REDIR
REM Remove below DOSX line if not protected mode app...
LH %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\DOSX
LH %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\NW16
LH %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\VWIPXSPX
C:\PROGRA~1\VDMSOU~1\DOSDRV.EXE "-i:C:\DosGames\YourGame\YourGame.INI"

Best place to use such a "YourGame.NT" file would be in your own PIF file as the Custom MS-DOS initialization file replacement Autoexec filename. If used in a plain batch file run from the DOS prompt you will lose some DOS RAM to an extra copy of COMMAND.COM...

The fact is that LaunchPad blends both a replacement PIF editor and DOSDRV configurator in one GUI product that leads folks to believe that DOSDRV is also a NTVDM launcher. Now you know otherwise...

If you do not need Novell IPX support, only NETBIOS then you could get away with only REDIR.

Best of luck,

dvwjr