VOGONS

First post, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, I know people such as Nicht Sehr Gut have been warning about this, but this really is the first time I've been experiencing *any* problem with the Win9x Alpha of VDMsound. Simcity 2000 is locking up occasionally. The system just hangs, and catastrophically dies (ctrl-alt-del does nothing). This is somewhat annoying 😀 I'm using Sound Blaster for sound (although the same thing happens with SB16 selected) and MPU-401 MIDI for music (AdLib etc have music slowdown for some reason). Yet the game sometimes goes for over an hour with no lockup. Can I disable the emulation of certain things (maybe MIDI, AdLib) to see whether a certain thing is causing this? In addition, the setup.exe doesn't seem to be able to verify that I have SoundBlaster emulation in the Win9x version (similar problem with Tyrian(2k)), yet the sound still seems to work ok, and it CAN verify the emulation in the WinXP version. I don't know why that's happening, maybe somebody could explain to me. I know it's a cliche to ask for more stability, but that would be good too 😀

That said, it's working a hell of a lot better in Win98 than WinXP. In WinXP, I get music slowdown *whatever* I select, including MIDI (emulated or not) and also the mouse pointer moves rather slowly (but is not trapped in a 'box' in the top left corner of the screen). So I think it would play perfectly in Win98 if we could just get the Win9x VDMsound more stable 😀

== Jez ==

Reply 1 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by jez Simcity 2000 is locking up occasionally. The system just hangs, and catastrophically dies...

Ah yes, Win9x memories...

Not much I can suggest on this...you can try pestering Chris...then again that might annoy him and cause him to quit.

Can I disable the emulation of certain things (maybe MIDI, AdLib) to see whether a certain thing is causing this?

I believe so, you'll need to manually edit the VDMS.INI file.

I know it's a cliche to ask for more stability, but that would be good too

More stability in Win9x...*heh*
Good one.

Reply 2 of 8, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

I believe so, you'll need to manually edit the VDMS.INI file.[/B]

I did that and disabled emulation of everything but MPU-401 and SB. Interestingly, it seems to be more stable now (one crash in the last 2 days, as opposed to several in one day).

More stability in Win9x...*heh*
Good one.

Actually, I meant more stability in the Win9x VDMsound. My Windows 98 almost never crashes on its own.

== Jez ==

Reply 3 of 8, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you try to play for some time without VDMS? It could be a problem with Simcity2000 in Win9x...

Since it crashes less with the some parts of VDMS disabled, it could be a VDMS issue though. When you disable everything, I assume that Simcity doesn't detect SB anymore... Or does it use your sound card drivers instead ?

Reply 4 of 8, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, this is the problem. I don't think I could keep myself playing Simcity 2000 for long enough to really test it without sound or music, it's just that good 😀

As for my sound card's drivers, heh, what drivers? It's a motherboard chipset one of those VIA things, it's a wonder Windows manages to access it, there is *no* legacy DOS support whatsoever.

== Jez ==

Reply 5 of 8, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by jez I did that and disabled emulation of everything but MPU-401 and SB. Interestingly, it seems to be more stable now

Actually, I'm not entirely sure if all the configuration options work the way they did in the NT version. Emulating in 9x is a very different thing. Chris or Vlad are the real people to ask.

Actually, I meant more stability in the Win9x VDMsound. My Windows 98 almost never crashes on its own.

Well congratulations, but the point is that Win9x is a less stable environment. That's part of the reason Vlad didn't want to touch it.

I don't know how stability and compatibility can increased or if it's even possible. The built-in chipset doesn't help. BTW, why not run the Windows version of SimCity 2000?

Reply 6 of 8, by jez

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The INI seems to work in exactly the same way.

Why not run the Windows version? Because I prefer the DOS version 😀 It's got a kind of character, a chicness, that just isn't there in Windows.

== Jez ==