VOGONS

First post, by DarKain53

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I downloaded the Win9x version, but I can't get it to do anything. I do all it says to do (edit Autoexec.bat, run dosdrv.bat, etc) and when I try to run any game with Roland sound, vxdsload freezes and I have to use crtl+alt+delete to get out of it. I'm guessing that I have to edit some of the files to make it work, but the readme files aren't very specific about how to do that. I've tried to open the .map files with notepad, but all that gives me is an explanation of what it does, not settings or anything. Is there a way to make it work like the Win2k version does (right click on game, click "run with vdmsound")? I don't know any computer programming code, or anything that would help me with this, just to let you know.

Reply 1 of 3, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Although VDMSoudn for Win9x is not officially supported, you may tri diffeent MIDI devices and/or using AdLib instead of MIDI -- you may be experiencing problems with DirectMusic or whatever is used for MIDI on your system, or the game itself craps out -- we'd need more details!
V.

Reply 2 of 3, by DarKain53

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I tried it on two different games. Loom (floppy) and Monkey Island 1 (VGA floppy) which both worked with the windows 2k version of VDMSound. Win9x VDMSound actually makes the adlib sounds worse and when I try to use the roland (Midi?) sounds then the games either: 1) freeze up and I have to Ctrl+Alt+delete to get out 2) play no sounds at all. I don't know how to change my midi device or the emulated device (if that's what you're talking about. I don't know anything at all about how to alter anything for this program, or any program for that matter.

Reply 3 of 3, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your scroll-lock led would not be happenning to blink by any chance when the game "freezes up"?
Also, I really don't get it why the AdLib would sound worse under Win9x, it is exactly the same functionality (check DLL versions).
V.