VOGONS

First post, by arablizzard2413

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have some games where in the installation I select midi or adlib. I use launchpad and make sure all of the settings are correct yet the game still uses the internal pc speaker, when on a real dos os (with the same sound card) it plays using the speakers. My suggestion is this: enable pc speaker to wav/midi/mp3/adlib or whatever, so the game doesn't hurt your ears as much. The games I'm refering to are (this has nothing to do with asking for support, just a suggestion) Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis, Elfland (old game not widely heard of), and most of the Super Solvers series. Please consider adding a pc speaker converter.

Reply 1 of 8, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
arablizzard2413 wrote:

I have some games where in the installation I select midi or adlib. I use launchpad and make sure all of the settings are correct yet the game still uses the internal pc speaker, when on a real dos os (with the same sound card) it plays using the speakers. My suggestion is this: enable pc speaker to wav/midi/mp3/adlib or whatever, so the game doesn't hurt your ears as much. The games I'm refering to are (this has nothing to do with asking for support, just a suggestion) Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis, Elfland (old game not widely heard of), and most of the Super Solvers series. Please consider adding a pc speaker converter.

Indiana Jones (both Holy Grail and Fate of Atlantis) should work with AdLib and/or MIDI, not speaker.

In the LaunchPad "VDMSound shortcut"'s properties add "a" or "r" (without the quotes) under the "parameters" section for atlantis.exe to force it to use AdLib or Roland/MIDI. If that still doesn't work then VDMSound is being interfered with by giveio.sys (see VDMSound FAQ).

Cheers,
V.

Reply 5 of 8, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote:

DosBox DosBox DosBox doesn't run a lot of the games that I want to use.

Yes, but if the effort required to implement PC-Speaker emulation under M$ Winblow$ were put into Dosbox instead then Dosbox *would* run a lot of games that you want to use. 😀

Reply 7 of 8, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote:

Except you don't program for DosBox, so that analogy doesn't work.

No, I don't, but I'm trying to get that MT-32 stuff off the ground, and on top of that I'll be very busy in the coming months at work, so I really don't feel like PC-Speaker emulation right now. :p

Cheers,
V.