VOGONS

First post, by andrewwan1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know the details of which ethernet frame types low-level networking VDMSound provides?

I definitely know it supports IPX frame type ethernet II, because I can play Blood and that uses ethernet II (found out using native LAN under XP).

To play DOS games under XP I have always used VDMSound w/ low-level networking, otherwise the game can't detect/see my IPX network card.

I use VDMSound on XP on a native LAN.. and couldn't get Syndicate Wars or C&C DOS to detect each other (under all frame types)... but Blood works only under Ethernet II.

So my assumption is, VDMSound doesn't pick up frame types ethernet 802.2/3, etc?

Does someone know VDMSound source code well? to confirm this assumption?

Reply 1 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should be able to adjust that in your network properties.

VDMSound just emulates sound.

The "Low-level networking" option just disables the network redirector in Autoexec.NT (or your custom Autoexec) to free up more memory.

I could be wrong though. I haven't used VDMSound for about 4-5 years.....since a very obscure unknown DOS emulator that no one seems to know about (even today) came out.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Look in c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt.

I believe the redirector just redirects local file and printer requests to the server. Likely nothing to do with IPX.

The command prompt in Windows relies on the IPX/SPX protocol that you have installed.

It's disabled because it takes up conventional memory in Windows NT/2000/XP/2003/Vista and usually people don't need to access files/print to a server in a command prompt while they are playing games.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline