VOGONS

VDMSound - Portable?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Apart from the general installation of files, what changes to the system are made when installing VDMSound?

Is it just a bunch of regsvr32'd DLL's or is there something more involved...?

I can't seem to find a setup log is all. I want to make a version of VDMSound specific to one game that only "installs" or loads via a batch file, then it will unload or "uninstall" when the game quits (I know how to do that via batch files easy enough).

My point/reason? To have a portable version of resource-demanding DOS games on my USB stick (ones that DOSBox can't play fast enough, but work very well in VDMSound), so I can play them at work 😀 and yeah I know administrator rights would still be required, that's fine.

If nobody can really help, I suppose I can do a ProcessMonitor on the install and find out myself with some few hours work. If I do do that, I will post the results here if anyone is interested.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
CosmicDan

Reply 2 of 6, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I use ThinApp to capture the troublesome/complicated software to bundle it into a portable software, but I prefer to use a manual launcher via scripting if I can. Never heard of Altiris SVS, but it sounds like a similar thing to InstallRite or Process Monitor (the former checks system state before/after a setup.exe, the later watches all EXE action in realtime) so i'm sure i'll figure it out as VDMSound isn't exactly a complicated or massive software (installation-wise).

Thanks for that, i'll be sure to post my results or any more questions if I have them. Cheers.

Regards,
CosmicDan

Reply 3 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

From what I remember VDMSound didn't do affect much. Besides the Start Menu and Add/Remove programs it just added an item to the context menu and a .dll it registers for the launchpad. (If your using the GUI). Oh and possible a variable for the VDMSound path.

and of course the files it installs in Program Files.

Been roughly about 3-4 years since I last played around with it but I think that's about right.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 6, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah that makes sense!
yeah, the DOSSOUND.EXE or whatever the bugger it is, is called from Launchpad shell extension via environment variable from what I remember.

I thought there might of been another DLL or driver, but it makes ense that there isn't because it installed 100% fine on my x64 machine.

Well i'll be trying it later on today, so i'll let you guys know how it goes 😀

Regards,
CosmicDan