VOGONS

First post, by Drag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When the decay perimeter of an adlib instrument is set to 0, the note isn't released immediately, instead, there's a random delay before the release. I'm not sure if this has been fixed yet, but it would certainly improve the accuracy of the emulation! Best I've seen so far! 😁

Reply 1 of 15, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

*does moderator-type things*

Ah. Hey, Vlad, it's Zazzal22 again. If you remember, he had that problem with "Adlib Tracker".

Welcome back, Drag, aka "Zazzal22"! Please, by all means, tear the OPL2 emulation to shreds, so Vlad and Jarek can fix any issues you spot in the underlying code, which comes from MAME!

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 15, by Drag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sure thing! I'd love to! I really want to help the emulation get as perfect as it can get! I know it comes from Mame, but there are still bugs in it... (I really hope you were being sarcastic...)

EDIT: I have the genuine OPL3 chip on an old computer, so I can point out any bugs that I can come across, and it's not just for me and Adlib Tracker, it's for everyone who uses VDMSound. I hope I'm not annoying anyone...

Reply 3 of 15, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, I wasn't being sarcastic. Anyone who wants to can throw as many things at it as they can to debug the code. I doubt there's anything left wrong, but it sounds as if you found something.

BTW - on the OPL3, reports I have say that Jarek Burczynski is currently working on OPL3 emulation, for the few arcade game systems that will require it in MAME. (Although no code has been submitted yet...) As it sounds like you know what you're doing, you may wish to offer your services. Email bujar@mame.net if you'd like to do this.

Stiletto

Reply 4 of 15, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:

for the few arcade game systems that will require it in MAME.

That would be (AFAIK):
Tecmo System Motherboard
- Deroon Dero Dero
- Touki Denshou - Angel Eyes

But the payoff will be excellent for the emulators based on or using parts of MAME, such as MESS... 😀

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 15, by Drag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, ok, good. It sounded like you were pissed because it came from MAME and I pointed out a bug. I misunderstood, so sorry about that. 😀 Anyway, I'll be glad to debug the code and such (but I can't program anything, as I don't know C or whatever's being used to code it). 😀 I use Adlib Tracker, because I can play around with the adlib perimeters as much as I want to, so it's the perfect thing for me to debug with. And also, like I said, I have the genuine OPL3 chip on an older computer, so this will also help with debugging. Now, I'm not the biggest expert on OPL, but I still know what's what. 😉 Well, the release bug was all I could find for now, but I'll be sure to point out any more bugs.

Last edited by Drag on 2002-08-28, 23:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 15, by bujar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Drag wrote:

When the decay perimeter of an adlib instrument is set to 0, the note isn't released immediately, instead, there's a random delay before the release.

It was fixed on 07/19. There was no MAME release since then, so... (okay, I'll remember to send these fixes to Vlad in future)
Here's the fix:

Please change first 16 entries in eg_rate_shift[] table in fmopl.c to:

static const unsigned char eg_rate_shift[16+64+16]={
/* Envelope Generator counter shifts (16 + 64 rates + 16 RKS) */
/* 16 infinite time rates */
O(0),O(0),O(0),O(0),O(0),O(0),O(0),O(0),
O(0),O(0),O(0),O(0),O(0),O(0),O(0),O(0),

Jarek

Reply 8 of 15, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heh. I discovered that floating in my email and actually private-messaged that to Vlad yesterday. But I didn't know that the bugfix and Drag's problem would be related, as I am really not an expert of the sourcecode, etc. But thanks again, Jarek.

Stiletto

Reply 10 of 15, by Drag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the update! The release problem has been fixed! 😁 So far, I haven't been able to spot any more bugs, but I sure will keep an eye out for them. 😉

I am very proud to say that Jarek said that I could help test/debug the new OPL3 emulation he's programming! 😁

I really love the OPL chip! (As I'm sure that I've made clear. 😉 ) And I love to help make the emulation as accurate as it can possibly get. 😀 If anyone ever needs a sound-in-dos-games-while-having-an-NT-based-core-OS program, I will TOTALLY recommend this software, because everyone has done a completely FANTASTIC job with it. 😀

Reply 12 of 15, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am very proud to say that Jarek said that I could help test/debug the new OPL3 emulation he's programming!

Congratulations, Drag!

Note: Do you truly have a soundcard with the original YMF262 (OPL3) chip? Or is it an OPL3-SAx chip? (YMF701, 711, 715, 718, 719, etc.) I always heard that they weren't necessarily exactly compatible...

Stiletto

Reply 13 of 15, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

Here's hoping that OPL3 emulation doesn't have many bugs in it and gets finished soon so it can be implemented into VDMSound! 😀

And as we have proved, too, VDMSound is a good debugging utility for MAME's OPL2 emulation. (There was a long thread on the previous messageboard, where we first met zazzal22). So it all works together, never fear...

Stiletto

Reply 14 of 15, by Drag

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

Note: Do you truly have a soundcard with the original YMF262 (OPL3) chip? Or is it an OPL3-SAx chip? (YMF701, 711, 715, 718, 719, etc.) I always heard that they weren't necessarily exactly compatible...

Hmm... I'm not exactly sure how to check without ripping the computer apart, but I'll look through some records and check.

EDIT: It's an ESS SOLO-1 PCI audio card, but I can't get info on whether it has a YMF7xx or a YMF262, because ESS cards can have either of them. If it doesn't have the YMF262 chip, I have another older computer that I'm sure has one... or close to one.

EDIT2: I really should proofread my edits more...

Last edited by Drag on 2002-09-04, 01:03. Edited 1 time in total.