VOGONS

First post, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since I don't feel like reading through 180 posts I decided to start a new thread. I have a cranky old DOS title with a fixed Soundblaster IRQ of 5. Is it possible to set the IRQ on VDMSound win9x to something besides 7 yet?

Reply 2 of 6, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've tried using VDMSoundwin9x with IRQ on 7 on 5 and with no set blaster line whatsoever. VDMSound9x does not work at all on my computer. It does not enable one tiny little bit of DOS audio for me. I could go into various details of how to make it crash and freeze things but it is such a complete failure I won't spend the time to do so. And I tried it with more than just my cranky game which almost nothing works with.

Snover, in the big thread you said that all games require the Set Blaster line. That statement is wrong. None of the DOS games I have tried use the Blaster value. The Blaster value is required by the Live and the Audigy to configure their legacy drivers. I looked up the SB 16 ISA manual on-line and it made no reference to Autoexec.bat at all. Older manuals are not available from Creative Labs. My own sound card's legacy support (which I switched off for testing VDMSound on win98) makes no use of a Blaster value - but it has the downside that its legacy IRQs and ports are fixed.
My suspicion is that any DOS game (haven't found one) that doesn't have any sound configuration utility would use the Blaster value. It would be totally illogical for a game to have a sound configuration utility and to read the Blaster value - and although I lack a complete knowledge of all DOS titles I am going to presume they don't exist.

My cranky game has a configuration utility but it only lets me change the port.

Reply 5 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

the former was just to make fun.

The Blaster value is required by the Live and the Audigy to configure their legacy drivers.

is just wrong. they don't even need it.
If the VDMS for Windows 9x doesn't work for you.. well, how about reading through all those posts? Maybe also read any documentation that comes with it as well.

Reply 6 of 6, by dnewhous

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I screwed up my information badly here, from what I wrote down in my self-documentation (I forget where I got my original information, I was babbling from memory before) it is the newer Soundblaster cards that don't use the Blaster value because they have DOS-based configuration utilities. The older you go the more likely the card uses the Blaster value.