VOGONS

Reply 42 of 94, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Could someone come up with a list of "doesn't work with NT's MSCDEX" and/or "doesn't work with VDMSound's "Low-Level CD-ROM support" games? (IOW, a "Test this with SAPUCDEX" list).

Reply 43 of 94, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

😀 I thought you were going to do it. 😉

Anyhow, I can't do it now... maybe DOSFreak has some opinions... I've some other projects right now...

I thought we could get a good list by searching our forums. But maybe not, then, since you're asking for this... 🙁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 44 of 94, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Stiletto I thought you were going to do it.

Um...yeah. Trying the narrow the list a bit. Obviously, there's no point in me testing SAPUCDEX on titles that work fine without it. For example, "Realms of the Haunting" doesn't need it as enabling "Low-level CD-ROM" in the VDMSound GUI works fine.

Reply 45 of 94, by Sjekster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to run Earth 2140 on Windows XP but I can't get the CDROM to run. It does read data of the CD, but after that I get a message that I should put the CD in the drive. The program is then searching for CD audio tracks.
I've put the sapucdex file in a seperate directory and in system32 and I put the word SAPUCDEX under dos environment in launchpad. It still doesnt work though and sapucdex doesnt generate a logfile.
Can anybody help me?

Reply 46 of 94, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Sjekster It still doesnt work though and sapucdex doesnt generate a logfile.Can anybody help me?

Like I had mentioned in an earlier post, I have never seen SAPUCDEX generate a log. Have you tried this using the standard low-level support or no support at all?
(That may sound strange, but different titles behave differently)

Reply 47 of 94, by Sjekster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Like I had mentioned in an earlier post, I have never seen SAPUCDEX generate a log. Have you tried this using the standard low-level support or no support at all?
(That may sound strange, but different titles behave differently)

yes, I tried running it with and without low level support....still doesn't work....
what's strange is that the program first reads a file of the cd correctly (if I don't have the cd in my drive I get an error) and when it later checks for the cd it can't find it...

If you guys can come up with an alternative solution it would be much appreciated...

thx 😁

Reply 48 of 94, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Sjekster yes, I tried running it with and without low level support....still doesn't work....

Well that's all I've got. It might be SAPUCDEX issue, or it might be more NT-related...

...what's strange is that the program first reads a file of the cd correctly (if I don't have the cd in my drive I get an error) and when it later checks for the cd it can't find it...

Odd. Closest I came to that was the "TombRaider" CD-audio. It played the main menu theme fine, but all other attempts just resulted in endless looping for all in-game music.

Reply 49 of 94, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Files will always be read correctly from the CD since they don't need "low-leevl CD-ROM support". Only audio tracks an the like need it.

V.

Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Odd. Closest I came to that was the "TombRaider" CD-audio. It played the main menu theme fine, but all other attempts just resulted in endless looping for all in-game music.

Reply 51 of 94, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I gave a try to plain old (ie, no Glidos) TR and TRUB with low level CD support activated and pointing to SAPUCDEX instead of MSCDEXNT. Lo and behold, it worked perfectly 😀

For the record, I just ran into an initial issue about virtual drives that had been previously brought up by someone on this board. The problem is more nasty than simply assigning letters in the 'right' order. I have a Nero ImageDrive virtual CD that is assigned to X (my main drive is R) but it still continued to 'steal' the calls for CD audio tracks (the Nero virtual SCSI adapter configures itself to ID0, thus appearing as the first drive in my IDE/SCSI chain - what a mess). Deactivating it in the device manager made the trick, and my R drive was then able to play the audio tracks.

Point is: Paul, there is ingame CD audio in Unfinished Business 😁 😉

Last edited by Kaminari on 2003-02-13, 00:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 52 of 94, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Kaminari I gave a try to plain old (ie, no Glidos) TR and TRUB with low level CD support activated and pointing to SAPUCDEX instead of MSCDEXNT. Lo and behold, it worked perfectly

Odd. The main theme for the title page worked properly for me, but the in-game CD audio looped endlessly. This was true for both TR and UB.

Point is: Paul, there is ingame CD audio in Unfinished Business

There was a question about this? IIRC, it was just the "wind" and "heartbeat" tracks. Only heard "wind", but then again I've yet to finish it.

Reply 53 of 94, by Kaminari

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed. 'Wind' for Khamoon, 'heartbeat' for Atlantis (actually the same tracks used in TR).

Through Glidos' own CD support, only the title track is played; the two tracks with sound effects (we could hardly call them 'music' 😉 ) are simply muted. Each one is a couple of minutes long and loop correctly via DOS + SAPUCDEX. I mean... they're supposed to loop at the end of the track and not after a few seconds, right?

Reply 54 of 94, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Kaminari they're supposed to loop at the end of the track and not after a few seconds, right?

That's been my problem. Wonder why it's playing properly for you, but not for me.

Reply 56 of 94, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover Any more work been going on this...

I would guess that there has been since DosBox is using Sapucdex for CD-ROM access and I'm sure adjustments would have been needed for DosBox.

Reply 58 of 94, by Schadenfreude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Snover wrote:

How exactly did you obtain the source for that, Harekiet/Qbix?

Probably through Vlad, mi guess.

Source for SAPUCDEX on VOGONS would be quite illegal, construction of SAPUCDEX illegal anyhow, Sapu reversed MSCDEXNT and DOS MSCDEX to make it. No?

Reply 59 of 94, by SaPu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Schadenfreude wrote:

Source for SAPUCDEX on VOGONS would be quite illegal, construction of SAPUCDEX illegal anyhow, Sapu reversed MSCDEXNT and DOS MSCDEX to make it. No?

Well, maybe something like this could be true for the first released version only.
After discovering than Microsoft made only a minimal (and buggy) MSCDEX emulation, i preferred to completely rewrite the whole things, and actually it doesn't have any more to do with the original MSCDEXNT.
Btw, the latest version sources are GPL.