Downloads
    542 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 23 of 94, by Homer J

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How does one use this thing? I'm trying to use it for Realms of the Haunting, but no dice so far. I put the two files in their own directory, then altered the AUTOEXEC.VDMS file by commenting the original CD extensions line and putting in a similar statement underneath that pointed to the SAPUCDEX.EXE file. Game is still complaining about the CD-ROM.

Reply 24 of 94, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

"better" feedback? Does better=more? 😕 😁

In this case, I think, yeah, he wants more feedback. So let's get testing! Canvas the forums for games with MSCDEX problems, etc. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 25 of 94, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Homer J wrote:

How does one use this thing? I'm trying to use it for Realms of the Haunting, but no dice so far. I put the two files in their own directory, then altered the AUTOEXEC.VDMS file by commenting the original CD extensions line and putting in a similar statement underneath that pointed to the SAPUCDEX.EXE file. Game is still complaining about the CD-ROM.

Perhaps, then, this won't solve your particular problem. Kinda weird, though. Keep at it, don't give up. Any of the moderators here own "Realms of the Haunting"? I don't...

Stiletto

Reply 26 of 94, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Homer J (Simpson? 😁 )

If you are using LaunchPad, by any chance, then modifying AUTOEXEC.VDMS won't do it. If using the "regular" "Run with VDMS", though, then you did the right thing and there is a problem with SAPUCDEX. SAPUCDEX creates a log file (look further up this thread). Get that log file, zip it up and attach it to this thread, and SaPu will try to fix it!

V.

Reply 27 of 94, by Booga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I've been trying to get Return to Zork to play cd audio properly for a while now, and decided to give it a whirl with the new MSCDEX replacement. Still getting the same problem , which is cd audio break up and eventual hanging of the game with distorted graphics and i/o error messages.

the vcdex log gives me:

21:16:28 UNSUPPORTED SERVICE 1502

Thank alot! 😀

Reply 28 of 94, by SaPu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Booga wrote:
Okay, I've been trying to get Return to Zork to play cd audio properly for a while now, and decided to give it a whirl with the […]
Show full quote

Okay, I've been trying to get Return to Zork to play cd audio properly for a while now, and decided to give it a whirl with the new MSCDEX replacement. Still getting the same problem , which is cd audio break up and eventual hanging of the game with distorted graphics and i/o error messages.

the vcdex log gives me:

Thank alot! 😀

This log is surely from the 1.2 version, who can works exactly like the microsoft's 'mscdexnt.exe', with only a partial (and buggy) MSCDEX emulation.
Use the 1.3 version instead (you'll find them on the first message of this page): it's fully MSCDEX compatible and has a lot less bugs.

Reply 29 of 94, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry about the lack of feedback, SaPu. Maybe - it's a good thing? No feedback == no problems? 😀

BTW, I believe there was a link to the audio program that Return to Zork uses somewhere about here... Ah, here it is: showthread.php?s=&threadid=209

And I had mentioned it to SaPu, so I believe he probably used it for testing. I recommend the guilty parties in that thread test the other mentioned games (LOOM, Jones in the Fast Lane, etc.) with SAPUCDEX. I would, but I don't own the games.

I'd give you more feedback, SaPu, but at the moment I don't have a Win2K/WinXP system. showthread.php?s=&threadid=673

So let's get cracking guys - rah rah go team! 😀

Stiletto

Reply 30 of 94, by Booga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, here's something weird- I'm using 1.3 for sure now (I thought I was on 1.3 before, but I reinstalled it just to make sure) and now I'm not getting any log file, even though the exact same error continues to occur in the game. 😕

Reply 33 of 94, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We're still trying to work that out. So do lots of testing. And post replies. What we need is a list of games that will work with this that will NOT work with Microsoft's MSCDEXNT.EXE.

Primarily, test it with any DOS game that complains with CD-ROM problems (or MSCDEX problems). In a perfect world, it should fix some of them.

The goal was to make an MSCDEX replacement that was as close as possible to the final DOS MSCDEX. If you didn't know, Windows 2000/XP's MSCDEXNT is a few versions behind.

To rehash:
1. The version number now returned by SAPUCDEX is 2.23 (was 2.21 in MSCDEXNT).
2. The AUDIO_TRACK_INFO and AUDIO_Q_CHANNEL_INFO commands return the Control/Address field in correct order rather than inverted order (we hope it's ok, but it's not 100% sure).
3. The UPC_CODE command return data is in binary format (was in ASCII format in MSCDEXNT)
4. It logs unimplemented MSCDEX calls and other errors. (MSCDEXNT does not - this is for debugging purposes of SAPUCDEX)
5. INT 2F - AX = 1502h - GET COPYRIGHT FILE NAME is implemented (was not implemented in MSCDEXNT)
6. INT 2F - AX = 1503h - GET ABSTRACT FILE NAME is implemented (was not implemented in MSCDEXNT)
7. INT 2F - AX = 1504h - GET BIBLIOGRAPHIC DOC FILE NAME is implemented (was not implemented in MSCDEXNT)
8. INT 2F - AX = 1505h - READ VTOC is implemented (was not implemented in MSCDEXNT)
9. INT 2F - AX = 1508h - ABSOLUTE DISK READ is implemented (was not implemented in MSCDEXNT)
10. INT 2F - AX = 150Eh - GET/SET VOLUME DESCRIPTOR PREFERENCE is implemented (was not implemented in MSCDEXNT)
11. INT 2F - AX = 150Fh - GET DIRECTORY ENTRY is implemented (was not implemented in MSCDEXNT)
12. Read this thread:
showthread.php?s=&threadid=280
13. And other version peculiarities as seen here:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?sci … ;EN-US;Q123408&

It should be FULLY COMPATIBLE with the MS-DOS MSCDEX.EXE. So any games which may have problems, such as Loom, Return to Zork or other games (search our forums for MSCDEX.EXE) MAY be fixed. If that is the only problem they have, and SaPu's MSCDEXNT replacement is working properly.

Mainly, what we're looking for here is:
Use SAPUCDEX with your MS-DOS CD-ROM game/application in Windows 2000/XP. If it gives you a log, post it. If it doesn't, but it still has what appears to be CD-related problems, let us know, so we know.

Stiletto

Reply 34 of 94, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ooh, good idea. I should try RTZ now to see if CD audio works. Speaking of LOOM, who was it that loaned their CD to their sister, or their sister's friend, or whomever..? Nicht?

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 35 of 94, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, my CD-version LOOM still has problems, but I'm 99.9% sure it's DaemonTools' fault, not SAPUCDEX's (no unimplemented commands though, that's for sure).
Can someone test TR (without GLIDOS)? It had a CD problem.
V.

Snover wrote:

Ooh, good idea. I should try RTZ now to see if CD audio works. Speaking of LOOM, who was it that loaned their CD to their sister, or their sister's friend, or whomever..? Nicht?

Reply 36 of 94, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool. Email the Daemon Tools guys with your thoughts - maybe they can hack it somehow.

Colin, keep in mind that Booga has already reported that RTZ still won't work for him. But give it a shot, please.

Stiletto

Reply 38 of 94, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tested:

Tomb Raider: Unfinished Business
Problem: Couldn't play CD-Audio

SAPUCDEX successfully played Menu music track.

Still has in-game problem. On first level, CD audio track will only play about five seconds before it stops and starts over again.

Destruction Derby
Problem: Game wouldn't recognize CD, so it refused to start.

SAPUCDEX successfully allowed game to "see" the CD and play the CD-audio tracks.

Used the GUI-launcher method.

Note: No VCDEX.LOG files were generated.