VOGONS

Slow midi

Topic actions

First post, by Kyl3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry if I'm terribly wrong:

I think you know this issue, of midi playing to slow.. it's mentioned somewhere else in this board. Some old games, expecially the sierra ones, play their midi music to slow compared to dos versions.. Timing is great, jus tempo is to slow.

I'm no midi expert, maybe i'm just wrong (I hope so).. is this issue known?

I even made an example recording for ya.. (worst case, lsl5.. other games are also slower, but not as slow as this one)

joop.phlex.net/dat/lsl5MT-dos.mp3

joop.phlex.net/dat/lsl5MT-vdm.mp3

(actually a rather bad quality recording.. sorry, but it does de job)

Reply 2 of 19, by Kyl3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ofcourse.. I should have mentioned that the games theirself run perfect. Midi timing is great, midi tempo isn't.

I've tried speedset ofcourse, though never gave it any thought because the games run just fine!

I'll speedset some more later this evening, maybe you're right.

Last edited by Kyl3 on 2002-11-21, 10:46. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 19, by Kyl3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Shame on me, speedset is the thing!

I seem to need to set it at 0.0053 for old dos playback.. THNX!

There just one thing, I get real small velocity/tempo changes in midisongs.. timing is perfect, overall tempo is overall perfect..

Is there more to speedset, maybe I should not set in prime numbers?

I can give a recording if u'd like..

Reply 4 of 19, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hm - hey Vlad - next version of Speedset: use external recording (wave file, midi), extract tempo using algorithms, attempt to automatically match it using Speedset?

😉

Complicated and more complicated.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 5 of 19, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Uh... it seems to me that having an audio file of the music would defeat the purpose of needing SPEEDSET in the first place. Especially since the sound rates VARY and aren't constant.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 6 of 19, by Kyl3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I don't know really know anything about soundrates.. 🙁 I'm quite newbie at old games - midi related stuff. I also don't have the audio files you imply.. It was quite some work to make a dos recording of lsl5.. 🙁

I was just wondering if i'm doing something wrong.. the tempochanges are somewhat constant, so I just thought I was using speedset wrong..

Mainly because I've got no clue what this speedset does.. en why it requires an interrupt. Listening to this you'd think that speedset opens a thread and throttles cpu time, but it doesn't obviously.

this i've found somewhere else on the board.

The value you gove to SPEEDSET 1.0.1 is the number of "extra" interrupts per millisecond. SPEEDSET then spreads them out, computing the "ideal" interrupt rate, rounding it down to the closes millisecond period (closest kHz value). So every period the DOS stub will generate a number of INT8 (timer IRQs), which will vary up and down (+/- 1) as to achieve an accurate overall "interrupts per millisecond" value.

Maybe it doesn't spread the interrupts equally enough on my system

Reply 7 of 19, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

Uh... it seems to me that having an audio file of the music would defeat the purpose of needing SPEEDSET in the first place. Especially since the sound rates VARY and aren't constant.

Hm, that's true. Well, it was just an idea. But there should be some way for SPEEDSET to dynamically find a "proper" setting. It may be impossible, yes, but it should.

Stiletto

Reply 8 of 19, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Stiletto wrote:

Hm, that's true. Well, it was just an idea. But there should be some way for SPEEDSET to dynamically find a "proper" setting. It may be impossible, yes, but it should.

Impossible. It would have been almost possible if there was a way for me to get the value at which the PIT was programmed and then assume that the most that Windows could do is 1kHz and provide the rest, but there is no documented way of getting the PIT start-count value.

V.

Reply 9 of 19, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vladr wrote:

Impossible. It would have been almost possible if there was a way for me to get the value at which the PIT was programmed and then assume that the most that Windows could do is 1kHz and provide the rest, but there is no documented way of getting the PIT start-count value.

Damn. DOSBox logs it, I know...

Oh, and here's some lovely PIT-related links for you:
http://www.nondot.org/sabre/os/files/MiscHW/PIT.txt
http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/platform/proc/mm-timer.asp

Stiletto

Reply 10 of 19, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So, to rephrase the problem:
We have a MS-DOS 16-bit application that directly programs the PIT. We're now using Windows, and we'd like to intercept the value at which the PIT is programmed using a 32-bit TSR, but we don't know how to read the PIT start-count value. Is this possible?

Could be a good question for the guys at rec.games.programmer or comp.lang.asm.x86 or some place.

But, are you saying that they would just say, "it's technically impossible"?

So, like this then...
http://google.com/groups?selm=1994Oct31.09244 … ews.brandonu.ca

Or this?
http://google.com/groups?selm=2cb67nINN86l%40dns1.NMSU.Edu

Another very useful link:
http://www.qzx.com/pc-gpe/

Stiletto

Reply 11 of 19, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I don't know of any way of finding out what the "countodwn" (as opposed to the current) value is on a PIT. In a controlled environmnet (where you'd check the "current" value from the terminal count interrupt or read it in a tight loop and pick the largest value) yes, there are ways, but in a SPEEDSET environment I can't see any.

BTW, the "latch value" in the usenet post latches the *current* (not the countdown) value AFAIK. So I guess that the guy was in the Usenet post would hog the computer polling the counter value until he got the first non-zero value after zero. Can't really do that in NTVDM (SPEEDSET is supposed to speed up, not slow down games 😉 ).

V.

Reply 12 of 19, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay. So we'll have to stumble upon the right settings... that's like finding a needle in a haystack...

Stiletto

Reply 13 of 19, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Did some disassembling of ntvdm.exe, dunno if you can read any of it's local tables from within an vdd. But there's a table in there for the 3 PIT Timers each 0x74 bytes, and on location 0x28 in that table is the dword counter value.

Reply 16 of 19, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Harekiet wrote:

Oh dear god noooooooooo.

*ROFL* I wonder if we could violate the DMCA some more to improve Windows' DPMI support.

... anyhow, the EU should have some DMCA-like legislation on the books soon, although I would think a country's own laws could override them if they have laws about it...

... Vlad, any of this look useful?

Stiletto

Reply 18 of 19, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Harekiet wrote:

Did some disassembling of ntvdm.exe, dunno if you can read any of it's local tables from within an vdd. But there's a table in there for the 3 PIT Timers each 0x74 bytes, and on location 0x28 in that table is the dword counter value.

I'm still curious if this is useful. Probably not, though...

Stiletto

Reply 19 of 19, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I can read the thing from a VDD. And yes, that would be useful. Only problem would be getting those addresses right under all versions of NTVDM.EXE, though on second thought I could probably cycle through various values for the PIT when SPEEDSET starts up and scan NTVDM's address space for the changed values. Talk about the mother of all hacks. Will see.

V.