VOGONS

First post, by zbiggy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

I downloaded from CVS sources of VDMSound. But MSVC++ 6 with SP5 do not want to compile it. Could someone told me how to configure MSVC++ to compile VDMSound without errors?

Errors I get:
midl : command line error MIDL1001 : cannot open input file IVDMModule.idl
Error executing midl.exe.

Cannot open type library file: 'IVDMQuery.tlb'
---
.\VDMSCore\Sources\VDMUtil\VDMUtil.h(5) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open type library file: 'IVDMQuery.tlb': No such file or directory
Error executing cl.exe.
---
Error scanning file C:\projekty\mojvdmsound\VDMSCore\Sources\VDDLoader\Messages.rc for dependencies.
Compiling 16-bit driver .\DOSDrv.cpp DOSDrv
Subdirectory or file .\16bitDrv\Debug already exist.
Name 'bcc' is not known as internal or external comand, executable file or batch file.
Error executing c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe.

LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "vxdsdll.lib"
Error executing link.exe.

VDMConfig - Win32 Unicode Debug
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "mfc42ud.lib"

VDMConfig - Win32 Unicode
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file "mfc42u.lib"

The following environment variables were not found
$(BCPATH)
---

Reply 1 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm it looks like vdmsound likes to be compiled with borland C from within msvc++ ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 7, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just checked against the sources I had looked at some time back and I didn't have that particular problem.

As I've only got VS.NET 2003, I cannot give you a 100% accurate answer but I'd guess that the dependencies of the DSW aren't quite correct for a clean build or you're attempting to build a project before its dependencies are built.

As an aside, ehere are quite a few compilation issues with the latest version of VC++. Nothing that's not fixeable but there didn't seem to be a lot of point 😀

Reply 3 of 7, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

hmm it looks like vdmsound likes to be compiled with borland C from within msvc++ ?

I had noticed the use of $(BCPATH) and was also surprised! Given that I had other compilation errors, I didn't investigate any further on whether this was significant or not!

Reply 4 of 7, by zbiggy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The Borland problem tried to fix by installing borland compiler 5.5 + adding environment patch variable. It looks that borland was used to compile 16bit part of vdms to make it working with windows 9x. The best solution to this is to ask author of vdms. But he does not answer any mails. The same situation is with the rest of VDMS developers. It looks that noone left in this project.

Reply 5 of 7, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

*If* the Borland stuff really is just for Win9x, you could macro it out to provide yourself with a workable solution. However, I don't know what you are trying to achieve so maybe this will not be a workable solution?

Yes VDMSound is no longer activiely developed. However, all source is in CVS so anyone could pick it up if they wanted. The problem is that most people who want something added to the product are never able to contribute themselves 😀

DOSBox covers most of what people need so VDMSound doesn't tend to get mentioned much - given that it does what it does very well.

Reply 6 of 7, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Borland stuff is only for DOSDRV.EXE. Just make dummy dosdrv.obj and dosdrv.exe and touch them to be newer than the source and MSVC will skip that part of the build.

You will need pieces of the NT4/2k DDK (vintage by now) and set up some env vars in MSVC to point to them (see the include and lib of the project.) that's prolly where the idl etc. errors come from.

V.